New Prodigy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bongo Electronics Question: H vs HS/HH

User Info Menu

Bongo Electronics Question: H vs HS/HH

I'm currently playing a Bongo 4H that's slowly becoming my number one. I'm thinking of getting a Bongo 6 to go along with it.

I'm wondering why the H is only available on the four string and not the six string?

Also, why does the H get a three band eq while the HS/HH get a four band eq?

Are there tonal reasons for no six string H and no four band eq on the H? Or is it more of a supply and demand kind of thing.

User Info Menu

I believe its a supply and demand thing.

User Info Menu

Used you can find a Bongo H in 5 and 6 string versions. The H was discontinued on everything but the 4.

Not sure why they decided to go with only 3 band EQ for the H.

But if the H also has a piezo pickup, it has a 4 band EQ. (These are also discontinued)

User Info Menu

I own a Bongo 6 HH and love the electronics. The tone is to die for. Just my $.02.

User Info Menu

I can understand the economics of offering the 5 and 6 string Bongos without the single pickup.

I don't see any economic advantage to using two different preamps however. Is it a case of the single pickup Bongos sounding better with the three band over the four band eq? That with a single pickup in the sweetspot, adjusting a single mid frequency works better than two mid frequencies?

User Info Menu

Placement could be part of it. Also the 4 band may be more optimized for a 5 and 6 string range.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I owned a 5H and a 5HH, Different tone but both sounded great! With the 4 way and balance knob there are many variances and I liked it better and let the single H go. Find one with piezo and you have even more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leond View Post
    I can understand the economics of offering the 5 and 6 string Bongos without the single pickup.

I don't see any economic advantage to using two different preamps however. Is it a case of the single pickup Bongos sounding better with the three band over the four band eq? That with a single pickup in the sweetspot, adjusting a single mid frequency works better than two mid frequencies?
    Mebbe just a way to offer "point-and-shoot" simplicity ?
    No PU blending, no coil switching, and just a simple EQ.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Kind of what I was thinking. Just about as "plug and play" as you can get.

User Info Menu

The preamps are PCB based, and they have the PCB for the two pickup versions, and the pickup for the single H version, which may be the same as the stingray/sterling PCB. They would need to have a PCB especially for the Single H bongo if they wanted to retain the 4 band EQ.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Single H with piezo has the 4 band, correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Mebbe just a way to offer "point-and-shoot" simplicity ?
    No PU blending, no coil switching, and just a simple EQ.
    I’m still working mine out, the lay out is the same as my StingRay’s just with a lot more room either side of the eq. I’m currently running the eq flat and volume at about 70%. It doesn’t get more point and shoot than that !
    Next bass will be HH either a Stingray or Bongo. What ever comes along first

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Single H with piezo has the 4 band, correct?
    Correct

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the comments; much appreciated.

I recently took delivery of a Bongo 6HH which has the four band eq. It's been less than a week so I'm very early in the learning process.

That said, my initial impression is that I can get a LOT more extreme with the four band than the three band. With the three band, I have to work to make it sound bad. I have to be a lot more careful with the four band.

Time will tell if this is my imagination or not but so far, it's been fun finding out.

User Info Menu

I find that it is difficult to make my Bongo sound bad unless I really crank on the EQ. I also found it is very easy to go from sounding great to sounding magnificent with that 4 band EQ.