Mega Primo Mammoth
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stingray maple fretboard finish variations

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    ...Both the neck and the neck pocket have this writing: "040605-11". Could that make it a 2004 model?
    I don't think so. They were discontinued prior to 2004. Do you have a pic of the bridge and a pic of the neck plate?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Trussbroken View Post
    I don't think so. They were discontinued prior to 2004. Do you have a pic of the bridge and a pic of the neck plate?
    Yeah I have a pic of neck pocket (it was a bit blurry so i tried to make the writing more visible) and a pic of the neck where it's visible. Here's a pic of the whole body and neck plate too. The bridge is the standard MM bridge without the mutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-2-jpg   Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-3-jpg   Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-1-jpg   Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-serial-jpg  
    Last edited by mouth; 06-11-2019 at 11:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking 2002. There could also be a date on the back of one of the control pots...probably the Volume.

User Info Menu

Looks like the pickup has the sharp edges.
    The rounded pole edges were introduced mid 2003 (thanks Gav.).
    Don't know how long the Japanese used or ever changed these.

Japan Catalog 2001:
    Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_1-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_2-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_3-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_tb-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex-jpg
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Yeah, it has sharp edges - pretty much what I consider classic 90s Stingray features: non-rounded magnet edges, matte b/w/b pickguard, 3 band preamp with larger pots and a standard nut. That just screams 90s ray to me.

Rounded edges were introduced mid 2003. Now it could be that Kanda Shokai still had a stock of old style pickups, or it could be an earlier model. Also, of every single photo I've seen of Stingray EX basses, I haven't seen one with rounded edges.

User Info Menu

Here they are side by side. My black beauties. 2 band 2010 Stingray with EB Group III flats (oh my, simply wonderful!) and Stingray EX with Super Slinky roundwounds.

I love the blacked out look, it's one of my favorites for rays. That said, I did order a red pearl guard to try out on my 2 bander, just to try out the "funked out" look on it. Something about those funky flats I tell ya. If I don't dig it, then it stays black for good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-rays-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post

Japan Catalog 2001:
    Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_1-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_2-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_3-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex_tb-jpgStingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex-jpg
    Thanks Bert. Do you have any high resolution pics?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Trussbroken View Post
    Thanks Bert. Do you have any high resolution pics?
    Unfortunately not.
    Notable: "Fire Engine Red" was available, which was afaik an early (around 1987) EB colour.
    Only 3-band EQ was an option too.

User Info Menu

Last one:
    Stingray maple fretboard finish variations-music_man_stingray_ex-jpg