Music Man Modern Classics
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bongo disappointment!

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Bongo disappointment!

    No, not disapointed with the actual instruments!

    But just noticed they are no longer being offered with an HS or fretless option on the Music Man site. The H option for the 4 string is no longer available as well.

    Add a stealth HS 6 string unlined fretless Bongo to my list of discontinued basses that would love to have someday.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    I'm glad I got my beloved single H fivers when I did.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    For the most part, what EBMM offers is what sells the best. The bongo basses were made to appeal much more to more modern players, who usually want the HH pickup set. The same is true throughout most of the EBMM line. The HH basses sell the best, or the Single H, with the HS always in last.

    Fretless, Piezo, and other options are also ones that usually go to the wayside unfortunately.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    I'm glad I got my beloved single H fivers when I did.
    Indeed. Guard those babies with your life!! If either of mine were stolen or damaged beyond repair that would be a serious bummer. I kinda wish I had another as a backup. However, I suspect if it came down to it a new SR5 special *might* be a decent replacement...but I've never played one so it's hard to know exactly.

    Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Oh, those SR5 specials might do the trick. I have some upcoming gigs and plan to use the SR5 Special instead of a Bongo so I'll let you know.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    Oh, those SR5 specials might do the trick. I have some upcoming gigs and plan to use the SR5 Special instead of a Bongo so I'll let you know.
    Yeah...please do! I'm sure it will be pretty awesome. One day, if I can find one in a store, I'd love to try one myself.

    Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    For the most part, what EBMM offers
    is what sells the best. .............
    Fretless, Piezo, and other options are
    also ones that usually go to the wayside
    unfortunately.
    Uh huh.

    Muskrat looooove for my Boingo 1H FL piezo 4
    which, natcherly, proves that no one else on the
    planet would want one.

    The boys at the local somehow noticed it in the
    corporate inventory way far away, languishing at
    an insultingly low price, cuz it was unloved. But
    they knew I would want it. They transferred it to
    the local branch. I plugged it in and the rest, as
    they say, is Shakespeare ;-)
    Last edited by Golem; 06-23-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

    "Too many basses is never enuf"

    Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Muskrat looooove for my Boingo 1H FL piezo 4
    which, natcherly, proves that no one else on the
    planet would want one.
    Well.. you are not quite alone. There are at least 2 of us

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    It’s too bad as I had been saving up to get myself a fretless 6 h/s to go with my ol faithful fretted but I simply took too long and the recent price hike didn’t help. Makes me hate myself even more for practically giving away my old starry night fretless bongo 6. Oh well.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    I was at the Sweetwater GearFest this year and saw the Bongo in the Fuchsia Sparkle. Getting one as a 5 or 6 is now on my list. I simply have to stop buying more Bongos just because of the color (I have three 5 strings and one 6). But with the ebony fingerboard that adds to it.

    But out of all of my Bongos - only one is an HS. The others are all HH. And I must admit the HS sounds better at times (mattering what I am going for).

    Is the possibility of getting an HS now off the table?

    Of course - I wonder if there is a way to convert one later.

    I have been away from this forum far too long!

  11. #11
    Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyDude View Post
    I was at the Sweetwater GearFest this year and saw the Bongo in the Fuchsia Sparkle. Getting one as a 5 or 6 is now on my list. I simply have to stop buying more Bongos just because of the color (I have three 5 strings and one 6). But with the ebony fingerboard that adds to it.

    But out of all of my Bongos - only one is an HS. The others are all HH. And I must admit the HS sounds better at times (mattering what I am going for).

    Is the possibility of getting an HS now off the table?

    Of course - I wonder if there is a way to convert one later.

    I have been away from this forum far too long!
    Unfortunately, we no longer offer the HS version of the Bongo. Sorry for any inconvenience.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Daniel - thank you for the reply. I appreciate the fast follow-up. It was very kind of you.

    I appreciate to keep costs down that there may be less selection. If I may make a suggestion. I am seeing more instruments lately where one can pop up the pickup volume knob and it converts the pup from a humbucker to a single coil. And this way you still only need to stock one part and only need cut the bass bodies all the same. Just an idea to mention at your next staff meeting :-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums