Ultra Burly
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bongo 5 HH coming to me. It is Jack's fault!

User Info Menu

Bongo 5 HH coming to me. It is Jack's fault!

Yesterday I was looking on Guitar Center's site at used basses and came across a Bongo 5 in Mystic Purple with a crazy figured bird's eye neck and what looks like an ebony fingerboard. $1599. I struggled with myself....trying to reduce my collection of basses, you know? I PM'd Jack and we agreed it is a beauty and I finally decided to buy it. I used my Bank of America credit card and they refused the transaction as "unusual activity". Nice. So I tried to get it with another card and it showed to be out of stock so I thought someone else bought it. I even called GC and the sales rep said it was sold.

This morning I decided to look again and it was back listed for sale so I bought it and this time the sale went through as it usually does....used a different cc.

I'll post photos when it arrives. Jack told me it is a special run that was made for Guitar Center. The one I have coming is listed as "like new" and in the original case. Purple. I bought a purple bass. What is the world coming to?

Looks like there is a new "Bongo Boy" in San Antonio.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you. Seems the unusual activity was you buying a Bongo! Sounds like you had not before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    Congrats! Glad it worked out for you. Seems the unusual activity was you buying a Bongo! Sounds like you had not before.
    I already have a black Bongo 6 HH. This is my second one.

User Info Menu

Despite what Chuck says, I tried my level best to talk him out of this bass. "Chuck", I said, "Purple is not for you and you're already bearing the shame of having a Bongo 6. Maybe you should consider something more 'woody'", I said. "Save your money for one of those fancy-topped things. Maybe get some therapy."

Okay, maybe it wasn't like that.

User Info Menu

Okay, maybe it wasn't like that.

No, it wasn't like that. Hah. Jack trying to talk someone out of buying a Bongo? To quote John Wayne "that'l be the day".

Just in case you didn't know, Buddy Holly heard that line in a John Wayne movie and then wrote the song.

User Info Menu

Bongos look great In any colour that you normally wouldn’t get away with on a traditional shaped bass.
    (does it have black hardware by any chance?)

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

It does have black hardware.

User Info Menu

It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I feel like a little kid waiting for tomorrow's trip to Disneyland.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
    It does have black hardware.
    I know the bass you mean! Beauty, very very nice

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

"Out for delivery".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
    "Out for delivery".
    Those delightful, focus-wrecking words... Have fun with it!
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Photos soon. It has spectacular figure in the BE maple neck.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I like that one a LOT, Chuck!

User Info Menu

I adjusted the truss rod and raised the 2nd string bridge saddle a little and it plays great. I will put a new set of Slinky's on it and do a complete set up.

There is a new trick to using the Bongo preamp. There is a little click when you set all the knobs to the center. Do that. Adjust the volume to your liking and enjoy. LOL

Some basses sound great after a lot of knob turning. Not the Bongo. Set everything in the center and wow....WOW!