Ultra Burly
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "HELP" advice, opinion on reconditioning maple neck and fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Perth View Post
    Well I finally finished sanding and scraping (and sanding) the neck to my liking and have completed 6 coats (I think?) of Tru-oil. I also took the opportunity to give the hardware and electronics a good going over by dousing the pots with contact cleaner, and polishing all the hard parts on the bench polisher.
    All of it has turned out really good and even dissected the tuning machines to give them the once over.
    Its off to my first ever appointment with a PLEK machine tomorrow as I recon the Stingray deserves the best.
    I will keep all updated on how that turns out.
    I also purchased 4 different colored pic guards as I couldn't decide which look I like. I might post some pics here for general consensus.
    And, as they say, "pics or it didn't happen"
    Greg.
    Attachment 35500
    Attachment 35501
    Attachment 35502
    Attachment 35503
    That pickguard looks great. On my black classic, I decided to go all chrome look, including the pick guard!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Came out great. Much better.
    Do you have the original matte black pickguard?
    I do Bert, but it is very scratched. I didnt look really deep into the interwebs when I purchased the four different guards but there wasnt a matt black from the supplier that I used.
    I will keep trying the ones I have till I figure out what I like and will get matt if that comes up.

Greg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    That pickguard looks great. On my black classic, I decided to go all chrome look, including the pick guard!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Jeez, chrome didnt occur to me.
    Prolly would look good with the lighter neck too.
    Thanks Brash.

Greg.

User Info Menu

And ON the Plek machine it goes

I met my appointment with the PLEK guy today and was really pleased with the results from the scan and measure up.
    He was impressed with how straight and non twisted the neck is and will be doing the fret dress and 'blueprint' this evening for me to collect tomorrow arvo.
    I will post up results and opinion later.
    Greg.
    "HELP" advice, opinion on reconditioning maple neck and fingerboard.-20190706-20190706_133220-jpg

User Info Menu

Excellent work! It looks great!
    For a matte black (b/w/b 3-ply) check out Pickguard Planet (Chandler Music). They're the only ones who do matte version of b/w/b pickguards and it's where I've bought mine (3 times already). Other manufacturers only seem to do a single ply matte black guard.

Check it out:
    "HELP" advice, opinion on reconditioning maple neck and fingerboard.-rays-jpg

The right one (rosewood) has the Chandler pickguard, the left one (maple) has the original (also matte b/w/b).