Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal

Thread: Stingray Set Up

User Info Menu

Stingray Set Up

Hey,

I noticed that my pick up is uneven. Higher under the G string. Is that deliberate?

User Info Menu

Yes. That sounds about right

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Depending on the year that the Bass was made, some do have weak G string issues. So by raising the pickup on the G string side helps to correct the problem.

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by briangordondc View Post
    Hey,

I noticed that my pick up is uneven. Higher under the G string. Is that deliberate?
    Hi Brian,
    If you have a Stingray Special 4, the pickup heights would be set higher on the G string to balance the sound of the bass and pickups. However, our factory heights are just a starting point and you can change them as needed to meet your preference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Depending on the year that the Bass was made, some do have weak G string issues. So by raising the pickup on the G string side helps to correct the problem.
    I've read about that problem, but I didn't know it was related to some specific years. I guess is now solved?
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

The G string has a lot less mass than the other strings, so naturally it will have less output, regardless of the bass. It often seems to be more of a voicing issue than anything else. Raising the one side of the pickup does help, and also helps to tame the big B string on 5 string basses.

This is one reason I generally use a compressor. The massive signal released by playing the E and B strings above the 7th fret is enough to overdrive most amplifier input stages.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I setup my pickups by ear. But I measure the distance between pole piece on pickup and the bottom of the strings and with Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats it shows about 6/32 under G and about 7/32 on E. Clean and even sounds on every fret and good balance between strings. Good string height setup according to fretboard radius helps too.