Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: Why some Music Man StingRay Basses has a painted headstock? What this is means?

User Info Menu

Why some Music Man StingRay Basses has a painted headstock? What this is means?

I'm looking for a Music Man StingRay Bass and I've found a 1998 model that have a white headstock, but I've looked for another model of the same year and they doesn't have a "colored" head stock. Someone knows why some basses has that difference in your headstock? I don't have the serial number. Screen print attached. Thanks a lot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why some Music Man StingRay Basses has a painted headstock? What this is means?-download-1-jpg   Why some Music Man StingRay Basses has a painted headstock? What this is means?-download-jpg  

User Info Menu

Some people like matching headstock and body finish, and some people like the natural wood color. EBMM instruments sometimes give the buyer a choice between the two options.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henrixramos View Post
    I'm looking for a Music Man StingRay Bass and I've found a 1998 model that have a white headstock, but I've looked for another model of the same year and they doesn't have a "colored" head stock. Someone knows why some basses has that difference in your headstock? I don't have the serial number. Screen print attached. Thanks a lot!
    Back in 1988 when these basses were made, having a matching headstock was an option when ordering the bass. We still do this on some of our BFR models. The Stingray Special BFR Dargie Delight was released last February and has a matching headstock along with several of our guitars.

User Info Menu

It was an option at some points. Then guitars like the PDN runs, BFR runs, and other limited editions will have them.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

All the stealth models come with matching headstocks.

User Info Menu

My HH has a matching headstock and I didn’t think that was any kind of special run ?

(The Buttercreme also is matching but that’s the 2005 LE. )

They are both from the same era and do remember it being a yes/no option at that point in time on new orders

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Looking at the first picture, I'm not sure it's a matching headstock. When I received my SR Special with roasted maple and maple fingerboard, the headstock was identical to the one on the picture. The wood was the same but looked like two pieces glued together, one darker than the other.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

The front of the headstock is definitely painted. Other than through-neck instruments, which generally are painted necks, only the front of the headstock is painted for a matching headstock. The division in the finish on the back is due to a clear finish being applied to the back of the headstock, while the back of the neck is an oil and wax finish.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Thanks for the explaination.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Yeah, to clarify, ALL EBMM instruments have a painted headstock. It's just question of what type of paint job it has. The EBMM logo and other markings are silk-screened on, and then at least a satin clear coat is put over the headstock. On instruments with a matching painted headstock, the paint is usually a bit thicker, and may be gloss on the front and back. On my Luke III with a rosewood neck, the headstock is clear gloss front and back:

2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    All the stealth models come with
    matching headstocks.
    Clear-gloss-over-natural models have
    always had a matching headstock, at
    no extra charge.

I swiped this fine pic from "The Low
    End" bass shop site to illustrate what
    I mean:

Why some Music Man StingRay Basses has a painted headstock? What this is means?-bass-mm-natrl-glossimag1823_0-jpg
    Last edited by Golem; 07-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.