Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me restore this poor abused Stingray... need electronics!

User Info Menu

Help me restore this poor abused Stingray... need electronics!

I just acquired a great 2002 Stingray with the piezo. Some dumbass replaced the original pup and preamp with a non original setup and have made a mess of it. The bass feels and plays great and I’d love to get it back to original condition. Also the G tuning key needs to be replaced.

I know I can’t purchase replacement electronics from EBMM but am curious if any of you guys might know of where I might look to more easily find OEM parts. If not can you suggest good replacement electronics that could get me close to the original Vibe without altering the bass in anyway.

Thanks!Help me restore this poor abused Stingray... need electronics!-ec5d2b5a-2fcf-4115-a45b-a98999c019a5-jpg

User Info Menu

FYI, that’s not my nasty couch. My nasty couch has been chewed up by my 4 hounds but doesn’t have those nasty stains. ��

User Info Menu

I’ve got an original pup and pre amp but not willing to part with it for obvious reasons so sorry can’t help you there.
    In the meantime keep an eye on eBay , parts do crop up every now and again.
    And also check out, John East and Nordstrand. I’ve heard very good things about them

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Popping in to recommend Nordstrand and John East as well! I put a Nordstrand MM.5 & a John East MMSR with mid in my SR5 and it nails the old Ray tone that I love. You could grab the 2 band 3 knob version of the East MMSR preamp and it would be a dead ringer for the original.

User Info Menu

Thanks folks. Would the East preamp work with the piezo too?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by armybass View Post
    Thanks folks. Would the East preamp work with the piezo too?
    I would try emailing John at john.east@east-uk.com and give him your scenario and he can probably recommend a solution. Great chap.

User Info Menu

Depending on the tone you are looking for there is something for everyone here.

4 String Music Man Bass Pickups - Nordstrand Audio

(I highly recommend the BigMan)
    send them a message. Carey is great to deal with
    Last edited by danny-79; 07-16-2019 at 02:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah Carey is great and his pickups are awesome. I guess the preamp handles the piezo and the new pickup just needs to be wired into the stock preamp.

User Info Menu

Yeah Carey is great and his pickups are awesome. I guess the preamp handles the piezo and the new pickup just needs to be wired into the stock preamp.
    Can’t help you with that one as never had a piezo. I’ve got East pre amps and Nordstrand pups. Shoot either an email (I know J.E has off the peg preamps and will if need be taylor make you anything you need)

User Info Menu

I never understand why people do this to instruments, and don't even seem to bother to keep the original electronics. You don't get much better than EBMM electronics, IMHO. I'll take my EBMM electronics over any aftermarket any day of the week and twice on sunday.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

That’s the name of the game ! Keep all original parts

User Info Menu

Well unfortunately I had no control over that. Someone did this to it and I am trying to make the best out of it. It appears the preamp is all good so the easiest way is to put a replacement pickup in it. I have a brand new Bartolini MM pup that I am gonna put in it because I want to play it an don't let it sit while I search endlessly for an original replacement. Just have to wait till my repair guy can get to it.

User Info Menu

That’s how you received it, no original parts to hand so it’s the perfect excuse to try out new things with it. You might not make it better than it originally was (but then again you might!) but it will definitely be different so it’s all good.
    I changed parts out of necessity on one then brought the exact same replacement parts for another stingray cause I was super happy with the accidental results from the first one. I’m lucky enough to be able to hold on to original parts just in case.
    Five mins with a soldering iron and you would never know it’s been touched lol

User Info Menu

Well it looks like we are going with Nordstrand instead of Bartolini and I’m super happy. Will update after surgery.

User Info Menu

Well it looks like we are going with Nordstrand instead of Bartolini and I’m super happy. Will update after surgery.
    100% right move ! You will not be disappointed with what ever pup you went with

Also, depending on the pickup you chose adding a mini toggle switch for series/single/parallel is a very easy job that will work with any preamp
    Last edited by danny-79; 07-18-2019 at 09:06 AM.