EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Caprice for Motown Soul hits?

User Info Menu

Caprice for Motown Soul hits?

Hi,
    I'm a very happy EBMM Caprice bass owner and I use it for pretty much anything.
    I'm about to start a new project with my band, basically a celebration of Motown Soul classics (mostly from the '60s).
    Even if I have a Fender P bass strung with flats, I'm wondering if my Caprice can replicate that classic James Jamerson tone because it's my most comfortable bass to play and it's very light.
    The Caprice is a very bright and snappy bass by nature and when the action is set low it tends to be pretty zingy and growly, so adjustments on the setup would be absolutely necessary for this kind of tone. I wouldn't go too extreme with the setup, I'd like to keep it as much comfortable and versatile as I can.
    I'd use flats (Fender 9050Ls are my favourite), solo the neck pickup of course, raise the action, use my NordyMute (works as a sponge) and proper techinque of course.
    What's your suggestions?
    Is that doable, or better to go with my P?
    Thanks.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Well, I guess I'm gonna try that and see how it works!
    9050Ls are ready, Caprice is ready... Let's see if I can make it my personal Funk Machine.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    Well, I guess I'm gonna try that and see how it works!
    9050Ls are ready, Caprice is ready... Let's see if I can make it my personal Funk Machine.
    It’s all about experimenting and what ever works for you, enjoy and have fun

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

You're almost always the first to reply to my Caprice related questions, willing to help, but unfortunately you don't own one. That's funny.
    I'll do what you suggested, I guess it's the only way to see if things will work ok. Thanks again for your help.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    You're almost always the first to reply to my Caprice related questions, willing to help, but unfortunately you don't own one. That's funny.
    I'll do what you suggested, I guess it's the only way to see if things will work ok. Thanks again for your help.
    I asked a similar question regarding the short scale StingRay and got a similar response.
    Any bass any genre, it’s just what ever works for you. It’s not much of a question to ask. No I don’t own a Caprice but guess you could pretty much play what ever you want on it, with any strings through any amp, in any tuning
    Last edited by danny-79; 07-24-2019 at 11:57 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

To get the true Jamerson bass sound you need a P bass with flat strings that have not been cleaned for 7+ years. Go for it. Only cork sniffers will know the difference.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.
    Like I said, I already have a P bass, and it's been strung exclusively with flats for almost 2 years now. Among all of my basses, it always had the tone I used the most, for a number of reasons. But things change, taste changes, new projects are coming so it's good to try something different.
    I love my Fenders (I own a P and a J) and I use both all the time, but the Caprice is so freaking good and while it's obviously inspired by those basses, it does its own thing. And it does it GOOD.
    I'll report back as soon as the Funk Machine is ready to rock.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of P basses strung with flats and they do that P bass thing very well - because they're P basses.

With flats.

I also have a Caprice strung with Cobalt Flats.

I've never taken just a P bass to a gig.

I've taken just the Caprice to many, many gigs. It just does things better. I don't require a lot of versatility and often prefer a point and shoot outlook on stage because I have so many other things to think about. But it's so pleasant to just dial in a little of that neck pickup and instantly have a big, fat blues/R&B tone.

And I mean the R&B I grew up with, not whatever they call that histrionic crap today.

You're going to be happy with the flats on the Caprice, I'd think.

Jack

User Info Menu

I really hope that, but expectations are really high.

EDIT: It worked so well that I'm not playing my P very much these days.
    Soloed neck pickup, Fender 9050L flats and a proper setup and you'll get that tone. EB Group flats would work as well, not the Cobalts (imho). At least for that specific tone.
    Last edited by DrMatthewCross; 08-27-2019 at 02:51 AM.
    I love Red Paint.