Strap on your style

Thread: Battery compartment replacement for 2004 Ernie Ball Sterling

User Info Menu

Battery compartment replacement for 2004 Ernie Ball Sterling

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Music Man Sterling bass which I didn't play for a while.

Unfortunately I didn't remove the battery from the instrument's battery compartment during that time and it spill acid inside the compartment (I can see that the small electronic board inside the compartment is corrosion like greenish and the bass does not seem to produce a sound when connected.

I went to an electrician which deals with guitars and effects and he was able to dissolve part of the acid and reconnect the cables which were eaten by the acid enabling the guitar to work again when connected, but he strongly suggested to replace the battery compartment.

So my question is where can I find a replacement battery compartment? Can I purchase it directly from Ernie Ball?
    If not, I'd appreciate if you can consult me on how to find a third party one which will fit my exact model.

I've contacted Customer Service but they didn't reply with an answer, so I'm asking here.

Appreciate your help!

Miki

User Info Menu

Definitely contact ernie ball customer service. Are you in the U.S. or international?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikey_s View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a 2004 Music Man Sterling bass which I didn't play for a while.

Unfortunately I didn't remove the battery from the instrument's battery compartment during that time and it spill acid inside the compartment (I can see that the small electronic board inside the compartment is corrosion like greenish and the bass does not seem to produce a sound when connected.

I went to an electrician which deals with guitars and effects and he was able to dissolve part of the acid and reconnect the cables which were eaten by the acid enabling the guitar to work again when connected, but he strongly suggested to replace the battery compartment.

So my question is where can I find a replacement battery compartment? Can I purchase it directly from Ernie Ball?
    If not, I'd appreciate if you can consult me on how to find a third party one which will fit my exact model.

I've contacted Customer Service but they didn't reply with an answer, so I'm asking here.

Appreciate your help!

Miki
    Hi Mikey,
    Shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com with your location and your basses serial number and I'll help you out.

User Info Menu

Have changed a few over the years, no big deal.
    This is the UK but will give you an idea.

Gotoh BB-04 Single Battery Box 9V with Screws | eBay

(On my blue and cream stingray I’ve totally done away with the box in favour of a cover plate but that’s my choice. )

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/