Ready to Roar

Thread: Big Al 4 sss issues

User Info Menu

Big Al 4 sss issues

Big Al is my main bass these days but has a little problem that just got worse. I usually use the active/passive button but it doesn't stay down if you switch to passive and then try to go back to active. This started happening in the first 6 months of use, and was not usually a problem because I mostly use active mode. a couple of pushes. and maybe a slight twisting motion and it was fine. Now it is even harder to get to stay down but 20 or 30 clicks will result in proper function in active mode, so I leave it that way. Passive mode doesn't work, though, not without jiggling the button a little. Discovered the jiggle after a gig holding the button down during a show through 2 long songs. Has anyone else had this problem? What did it take to fix it?

User Info Menu

Try it with the pickguard removed.

No, seriously.

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis L View Post
    Big Al is my main bass these days but has a little problem that just got worse. I usually use the active/passive button but it doesn't stay down if you switch to passive and then try to go back to active. This started happening in the first 6 months of use, and was not usually a problem because I mostly use active mode. a couple of pushes. and maybe a slight twisting motion and it was fine. Now it is even harder to get to stay down but 20 or 30 clicks will result in proper function in active mode, so I leave it that way. Passive mode doesn't work, though, not without jiggling the button a little. Discovered the jiggle after a gig holding the button down during a show through 2 long songs. Has anyone else had this problem? What did it take to fix it?
    Sometimes the switch can catch on the pickguard. Try removing the pickguard to see if it works better. If so, you can enlarge the hole in the pickguard. If it still doesn't work, then the switch might be dying and needs to be replaced. If you need parts, you can contact us at customerexperiece@ernieball.com and we'll help you out.