Everlast
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Caprice string spacing?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Caprice string spacing?

    Hi,
    could someone please tell me the exact string spacing on the Caprice? Both nut and bridge.
    I couldn't find this info on EBMM website.
    Thanks.
    I love Red Paint.

  2. #2
    Daniel's Avatar
    Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    Hi,
    could someone please tell me the exact string spacing on the Caprice? Both nut and bridge.
    I couldn't find this info on EBMM website.
    Thanks.
    Hi Matthew,
    The nut spacing is 0.375" and the bridge is 0.750"

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Thanks.
    0.750 should be about 19 mm, which is standard Fender string spacing for most P and J basses. I tried to make a comparison between my two Fenders and the Caprice and the string spacing at the bridge on the Caprice seem narrower. Why? Is there a way to measure that distance precisely?
    I love Red Paint.

  4. #4
    Daniel's Avatar
    Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    Thanks.
    0.750 should be about 19 mm, which is standard Fender string spacing for most P and J basses. I tried to make a comparison between my two Fenders and the Caprice and the string spacing at the bridge on the Caprice seem narrower. Why? Is there a way to measure that distance precisely?
    You're correct, it's about 19mm. Picture of a Caprice bridge attached for reference.

    Caprice string spacing?-caprisebass-string-spacing2-jpg

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    So you must measure from the center of each string and put the measuring tape on top of the saddles?
    I love Red Paint.

  6. #6
    Daniel's Avatar
    Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    So you must measure from the center of each string and put the measuring tape on top of the saddles?
    Correct. That would be your string spacing. If you need you saddle spacing, it's the width of each individual saddle measured end to end.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    That is the way I measure string spacing. Helps on adjustable bridges, otherwise go with the way the factory made it.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Thanks.
    I love Red Paint.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    So you must measure from the center of each string
    and put the measuring tape on top of the saddles?
    If one is being extra accurate, measure from the
    E to the G, center to center, then divide by 3 :-)

    As to why two 19mm basses can feel different, I
    find that the radius, and height above the body
    surface, and possibly the PU configuration, can
    affect one's impression of feeling of being more
    crowded, or less so. 3 subtle things can add up.

    FWIW, I must confess to being quite immune to
    non-huge differences. I don't feel the difference
    from my Sterlings to my Rays. So, I'm hardly the
    best judge of such things myself.
    Last edited by Golem; 08-04-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL

    "Too many basses is never enuf"

    Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Not to mention bridges with different notches on each saddle. That would basically modify string spacing.
    I love Red Paint.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums