Not electric until you plug it in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Bongo, just for fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    I love a piezo on the Bongo. Think the piezo sounds better blended with the other pickups on the Bongo than on a Stingray or Sterling.

My dream is finding an unlined fretless Bongo HSp when I have the funds available to purchase it!
    I've never heard a piezo Bongo...that would be an interesting option.

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Dream Bongo for me would have a button labeled SR, when I push it the sound changes from bongo neo tone to stingray tone.
    Stingray 5H tone is my favorite bass tone, and the Bongo 5HH is my favorite bass. I get where you're coming from, but unless the Bongo has a sliding bridge pickup, I don't think SR tone is possible. But, if it were possible there'd be no reason for me to play any other bass, ever! I've never played or heard one, but doesn't the Bongo single humbucker model have the pickup in the Stingray sweet spot? It seems like a close Stingray tone should be achievable with that model..but maybe the preamp is too different. Interesting thought. I need to go find some videos on the single H model!
    Last edited by Samoht; 08-14-2019 at 05:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
    doesn't the Bongo single humbucker model have the pickup in the Stingray sweet spot? It seems like a close Stingray tone should be achievable with that model..but maybe the preamp is too different.
    Yes I’m pretty sure the single H Bongo pick up in in the SR sweet spot position (I’ll measure and confirm back).
    The preamps are a world apart though, my single H scares the s*** out of me ! I’m constantly raining it in, pulling it back. Both of my single H SR’s have (ahm... don’t shoot) after market preamps in them with series/single/parallel switching (my HH is stock) and even then the Bongo comes nowhere near anything StingRay sounding. It’s in a world of its own !
    Last edited by danny-79; 08-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    Yes I’m pretty sure the single H Bongo pick up in in the SR sweet spot position (I’ll measure and confirm back).
    The preamps are a world apart though, my single H scares the s*** out of me ! I’m constantly raining it in, pulling it back. Both of my single H SR’s have (ahm... don’t shoot) after market preamps in them with series/single/parallel switching (my HH is stock) and even then the Bongo comes nowhere near anything StingRay sounding. It’s in a world of its own !
    Good to know. I have a SR5 with aftermarket pre and pickup, so no condemnation here.

You've really got my interest piqued on the Bongo H!

User Info Menu

Good to know. I have a SR5 with aftermarket pre and pickup, so no condemnation here.

If you decide to try and find one, keep in mind the Bongo H without a piezo has a 3 band pre-amp. The H model with the piezo has a 4 band pre-amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    If you decide to try and find one, keep in mind the Bongo H without a piezo has a 3 band pre-amp. The H model with the piezo has a 4 band pre-amp.
    Thanks! I didn't know that. I did just what a couple of videos featuring the single H Bongo, and it's really a different beast from the HH Bongo...and the SR. Does anyone have a recommended video/audio demo of a Piezo Bongo?

User Info Menu

I also have aftermarket pups in two of them :P

Bongo single H (never had a bass of any description with a P) so can’t comment on that but I know they are in a whole world of their own , my EQ is set pretty much flat and volume on bass no more than 70% the way up, all out of fear !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    I also have aftermarket pups in two of them :P

Bongo single H (never had a bass of any description with a P) so can’t comment on that but I know they are in a whole world of their own , my EQ is set pretty much flat and volume on bass no more than 70% the way up, all out of fear !!!
    I saw two good demos of the Bongo H on YT. It is certainly a beast all it's own. I love the tone, from what I can hear.

I had a thought, maybe not a sane or good one, but if you slammed a single coil next to the Bongo HH bridge pickup position, that would put the bridge H neck-facing coil and the single coil in, pretty much, the Stingray pickup position. I can't help myself. A quick mockup:
    Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongo-5hs-mod-jpg

With some slick switching (providing either coil split, series, parallel for the humbucker and a way to have both pickups either in series or parallel with each other) this would be a very useful configuration. It would be like a combination of the single H and HH, in a way....obviously without having the neck humbucker at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongo5hsmodblue-jpg   Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongo-5hs-mod-closeup-jpg  
    Last edited by Samoht; 08-15-2019 at 08:03 AM.

User Info Menu

The preamp would still sound different than a sr. I am thinking of some type of game changer magic. I like the body and neck shape of the bongo and the sound but would be cool if it could sound like a sr with the push or flip of a switch.

User Info Menu

The preamp would still sound different than a sr. I am thinking of some type of game changer magic. I like the body and neck shape of the bongo and the sound but would be cool if it could sound like a sr with the push or flip of a switch.
    i'm with you. That would be awesome! No need for any other bass at all for me if that was possible.

User Info Menu

Like the Gamechanger but with out the complicated software.
    So it would have two individual preamps already on board, single H setting and you just simply switch between the two. That would be pretty cool

User Info Menu

Speaking of dream Bongos for fun, I whipped this up back in April. Behold the Monarchy Bongo series!

Dream Bongo, just for fun-57462776_10161675816235125_8856110208007536640_n-jpg

And here are some other designs I dabbled with. It's fun to daydream...

Dream Bongo, just for fun-6sting0003-png Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongo-png Dream Bongo, just for fun-majestybass-png
    Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 08-18-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Ernie Ball Musicman Bongo 6 HS - Black
    Ernie Ball Musicman Bongo 6 HH - Candy Apple Red
    40 Minutes to 5:00 - Stoner rock/metal, psychedelic thrash, heavy blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Speaking of dream Bongos for fun, I whipped this up back in April. Behold the Monarchy Bongo series!

Dream Bongo, just for fun-57462776_10161675816235125_8856110208007536640_n-jpg

And here are some other designs I dabbled with. It's fun to daydream...

Dream Bongo, just for fun-6sting0003-png Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongo-png Dream Bongo, just for fun-majestybass-png
    Awesome thoughts and mockups! Thanks for posting! I love the monarchy Bongo and the triple pickups! Give me the Red Bongo Monarchy in 5 strings, with the pickup positioned further back towards the bridge.... love it!
    Last edited by Samoht; 08-18-2019 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow that triplebuck Bongo is incredibly tempting to think about.

User Info Menu

Thanks and no probs! I'll take 27 Monarchies in Enchanted Forest (One of the most gorgeous finishes ever) and Majestic Purple. Call me a stubborn dreamer but I'm fairly certain EBMM knows how to make a 24-fret 6-string Stingray
    Ernie Ball Musicman Bongo 6 HS - Black
    Ernie Ball Musicman Bongo 6 HH - Candy Apple Red
    40 Minutes to 5:00 - Stoner rock/metal, psychedelic thrash, heavy blues

User Info Menu

Based on Cool Hand Luke's cool Triplebucker Bongo with a 5-way switch, attached is a mockup. The pickup is in the Bongo HH bridge position in the bottom 2 coils, and the classic Stingray position in the top 2 coils.
    Dream Bongo, just for fun-bfrbongotriplebuckerwith5-jpg
    Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongomodbluetriplebuckerwith5-jpg
    Dream Bongo, just for fun-bongomod2bluetriplebuckerwith5-jpg
    Last edited by Samoht; 08-19-2019 at 12:03 PM.