Strap Blocks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickup Height on Stingray Classic

User Info Menu

Thanks. It sounds like you did what I did. I've got the pickup slanted away from the E string.

I took the bass on a gig a couple of days ago with the pickup lowered and it sounded great. I guess the pickup will live happily at a lower height than the factory recommends. I'm fine with that given that the bass sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    Thanks. It sounds like you did what I did. I've got the pickup slanted away from the E string.

I took the bass on a gig a couple of days ago with the pickup lowered and it sounded great. I guess the pickup will live happily at a lower height than the factory recommends. I'm fine with that given that the bass sounds great.
    I always slant it towards the G a bit, but it's only slightly slanted, looks almost straight visually. My G string is also lower than the E, so that affects the distance from the pole pieces as well. It certainly isn't at a radical angle like you mention yours being. I do that to balance the tone of my strings (I never have weak G issues with my setups), not to avoid distortion.

I could put the strings as close to the pickup as it goes and it would not distort, I tried that. Something is wrong with your preamp or with the connections to the battery, I highly doubt it's the pickup. Either that or someone modded it. Sounds like the issue that the previous version of Sterling SUB preamp (also a 2 bander) had. It distorted easily and was too hot unless the pickup was lowered considerably. That should NOT happen with the OG preamp/pickup.

But if you're happy, alright. I certainly wouldn't be, and would check the insides ASAP.

User Info Menu

And what exactly is the relief gap? Do you measure it? How you setup neck reliefs in basses Sir?

User Info Menu

It's the distance between string and fret 7 or so (can't actually remember which fret, but it's the fret that is the longest distance away from the string). Capo at 1:st fret, then fret string at last fret or fret 12 (i use fret 12) then measure the distance. Normally yo want just a little relief, a businesscard is often used as a guide, or a thin pick
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

On both my Caprice and StingRay Special, E and G strings are equidistant from the bridge pickups. I've made some tests and they sound better in this way.
    The Caprice has a neck P pickup which I set like a regular Fender P pickup. The bridge pickup is already "C" shaped so it doesn't need to be angled.
    About the StingRay special, its bridge pickup isn't angled but somehow it sounds better if set equidistant on both sides. I tried to angle it to be closer to the G string and that string was too loud.
    I love Red Paint.