Mariposa Green

Thread: Does anything about this pickup suggest it's NOT original?

User Info Menu

Does anything about this pickup suggest it's NOT original?

Sold a Stingray 4HP on Reverb and the buyer was happy. I was happy. The dog was happy. Then yesterday, I get a message from him saying the bass had belonged to Johnny Long (whoever that is) and the humbucker was not OEM.

Additionally, he called me a liar, which was nice.

I ran the serial number and it seems to be exactly what it looks like it is.

Anyone see anything about these photos that would lead anyone to think this was NOT a Music Man pickup?

I don't care too much as I already have the money but jeeez, I have been buying and selling for a very long time and I imagine he'll report me to the FBI and all that.

Does anything about this pickup suggest it's NOT original?-srpiezo289-jpg
    Does anything about this pickup suggest it's NOT original?-srpiezo319-jpg

User Info Menu

johnny long
    - YouTube

That's Johnny Long. He's been through a lot of Stingrays.

That pickup doesn't look wrong to me.

Check this video:
    MUSICMAN STINGRAY (PIEZO meets KEN ARMSTRONG) - YouTube

I think your buyer thinks he got that bass. Check the comments section.
    Last edited by mouth; 10-26-2019 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, that may well be a Nordstrand pickup. I blew my photos up and there might be a little "N" in the corner.

So I messaged him back and said, "You might be right. I had to look closely at the photos I took of it because I never noticed if there was an "N" or not. If there is, it's a Carey Nordstrand MM pickup, which I guess most people (not me) would consider an upgrade. And it does look like the bass (I went ahead and researched it because I'm not a liar) that this J Long fellow had.

So you have an upgraded pickup and a (sort of) famous bass.

And you said you loved the sound and the bass, so I won't insist you pay me more money for the upgrade and the fame."

User Info Menu

:d
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    Well, that may well be a Nordstrand pickup. I blew my photos up and there might be a little "N" in the corner.

So I messaged him back and said, "You might be right. I had to look closely at the photos I took of it because I never noticed if there was an "N" or not. If there is, it's a Carey Nordstrand MM pickup, which I guess most people (not me) would consider an upgrade. And it does look like the bass (I went ahead and researched it because I'm not a liar) that this J Long fellow had.

So you have an upgraded pickup and a (sort of) famous bass.

And you said you loved the sound and the bass, so I won't insist you pay me more money for the upgrade and the fame."
    Wait, you don't know if your bass had a Nordy in it? :O

With all due respect, if I were buying a Stingray, I'd want it stock.

I had a Nordstrand MM4.2 before, and it's a good pickup, but a bit too mild for my taste. I didn't like it in a band setting at all. Also, it did not work as well with the OG Ray 2 band preamp, because it's focused more on the low mids - once you'd crank both treble and bass all the way, you'd get phasing issue where you'd lose ALL the bass and be left with a tinny tone. Putting the OG pickup back solved that issue. Nordy worked great with a John East preamp though, you have an option of boosting sweepable mids there, so you could boost the low mids.

User Info Menu

The pole pieces in that photo look a little large compared to standard, can’t see the N though.

Is it or isn’t it a standard stock pup ?

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    The pole pieces in that photo look a little large compared to standard, can’t see the N though.

Is it or isn’t it a standard stock pup ?
    Nah, they're the same dimensions as the stock alnico pickup.

https://smhttp-ssl-54936.nexcesscdn..../B/BBG-801.jpg

What's different is that Nordstrand has a much less pronounced stagger of the pole pieces (that part I like, but it's easily done on the stock pickups), sports an "N" in the bottom right corner and you can't remove the pickup cover as it's glued on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    Nah, they're the same dimensions as the stock alnico pickup.

https://smhttp-ssl-54936.nexcesscdn..../B/BBG-801.jpg

What's different is that Nordstrand has a much less pronounced stagger of the pole pieces (that part I like, but it's easily done on the stock pickups), sports an "N" in the bottom right corner and you can't remove the pickup cover as it's glued on.
    Fair doos , poles Just looked bigger in the photos.
    I’ve got Nordy pups in two basses, totally different to the mentioned one though

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    Wait, you don't know if your bass had a Nordy in it? :O

With all due respect, if I were buying a Stingray, I'd want it stock.

I got the bass in a trade and had it for a couple of weeks and didn't play it much except to adjust the action and intonation - and put good strings on it. so NO, I didn't really note the tiny "N" in the bottom corner of the pickup. How about you research how long I've been at this before making ignorant comments.

I have a stock pickup available for the buyer but he's going to have to be a little bit nicer to me if he wants it. Even I have my limits.

Jack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    I got the bass in a trade and had it for a couple of weeks and didn't play it much except to adjust the action and intonation - and put good strings on it. so NO, I didn't really note the tiny "N" in the bottom corner of the pickup. How about you research how long I've been at this before making ignorant comments.

I have a stock pickup available for the buyer but he's going to have to be a little bit nicer to me if he wants it. Even I have my limits.

Jack
    No need to get angry, I was being respectful. It's all good, stuff happens.
    Last edited by mouth; 10-28-2019 at 12:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Next time you have a bass to sell just sell it to me instead...
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Next time you have a bass to sell just sell it to me instead...
    That's good advice! We do seem to have a history of "no problem" deals!

User Info Menu

Nordstrand pickups are well made, an I know some like the un-staggered pole pieces. It's an honest mistake, and there are MANY aftermarket makers that don't even put any markings on the plastic. Pretty amazing how someone was able to find out a review some one did with a DIFFERENT pickup in it.

Things happen, and no one is perfect. Some people really overreact to crap like that. If the N was visible in the pictures, then it's on the person purchasing it.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Feds shown up yet?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Feds shown up yet?
    No, but my wife is acting very suspiciously. I think she knows.