Mariposa Green
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your go to bass/string combo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Since I only own the 2 sterlings, one of them has super slinky and the other cobalt. Depending on the gig would make me pick which one. Lately my HH gets to leave the house more. So probably that one with the 2824 set.
    Oooh, 2 pu Sterling with slinkies, nice. Is that the burst in your avatar? If so, seriously cool!
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Holdsg View Post
    as my new-to-me Caprice came with flats (I think EB Group IIIs) i'd go with that combo.
    Yesss, flats are so good!
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    I’m pretty boring in the fact I use the same strings on everything (105-50 Costed Stainless Steel ....) and all my basses are 4H based so take your pick,
    (Blue StingRay is go to bass though)
    So whatever bass you take, it's more or less the same? Convenient, I was a bit like that when I had a lot of Bongo fivers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Boingo FL4 H-p with cobalt flats.

Not that the cobalt makes much
    difference cuz I turn the mag PU
    way down most of the time.
    Wouldn't expect anything else from you, except maybe how long have you been on Cobalts?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by njhammer View Post
    Redwood SR 4H with regular Slinkys.
    Totally understandable, love the redwood SR:s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grayn View Post
    EBMM Stingray Special 4. with Elixir 45-100.
    Lovely.
    Coated strings huh, never understood those myself, in your opinion is the primary reason longevity or tone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Oooh, 2 pu Sterling with slinkies, nice. Is that the burst in your avatar? If so, seriously cool!
    Yes the Honeyburst HS has cobalt 2736 and the Stealth HH the 2824. Love the sterling pickups and 5 way switch, so many tones.

User Info Menu

If I ever get to your house I will play that bass, and offer to buy it too I think. Might be a good idea to hide some basses...
    That one is non-negotiable. I used to think people who were buried with treasured possessions were definitely weird but I may be reconsidering that.

Lately, though, I've been using that Big Al 5H for just about everything. I bring a Bongo, too, because otherwise who would I be? And sometimes I play the Bongo for a set but I really just want my Big Al now. It's weird.

I brought the Emerald Green Sparkle bass to the studio a couple of weeks ago but ended up using the Big AL on everything. Working on Tee's solo record - it's gonna be good.

At home, I do use the Bongos on recordings. I'm the King of Recording One Bass Line 10 Times With Different Basses because I don't have to pay myself for studio time.

User Info Menu

So whatever bass you take, it's more or less the same? Convenient, I was a bit like that when I had a lot of Bongo fivers
    You would think they all sound the same but don’t, why I don’t know. Guess that’s just part of the magic of it all

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Bongo5HH with Dave Larue's custom gauges (40-60-75-95-125) but it's too darn much trouble and $ to put this set together since it doesn't exist in a prepacked set. There's a close 4 set, Extra Slinky (40-60-70-95) and add a single 125, but again, it's not cost effective. Even though Dave's custom gauges feel the best to me, I've since switched to the Green pack Regular Slinky 5 (45-65-80-100-130). I think I'm going to switch to the Green Cobalt pack that I tried a while back because I don't feel as though I get enough play out of a single pack of regular Slinky's. I play 3 hours max each week (practice & 2 church services) on a set and after 2 weeks they sound dull. I remember the Cobalt set seeming to last longer.

I do also love the feel and sound of the Green Cobalt Flatwound 5 set, but I switched back to roundwound because I was just more comfortable and familiar with them.

User Info Menu

My Bongo 5 has TI flats on it and my Bongo 6 has Cobalt rounds. The one that sounds best is the one I have in my hands at any given time. Seriously, they both sound fantastic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....most instrument manufacturers that also make their own strings make okay strings at best. Many of them make lousy strings. Ernie Ball, on the other hand, makes great sounding strings and they are reasonably priced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
    Ernie Ball, on the other hand, makes great sounding strings and they are reasonably priced.
    Slinkies are definitely my favourite rounwound strings, but they should make the regular flats (Group) easier to find (if they still mkae them). Cobalt flats seem the only option available, and I prefer other flats honestly.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Coated strings huh, never understood those myself, in your opinion is the primary reason longevity or tone?
    I use coated strings, stainless steel coated (typo in original post)
    For me the coating offsets, dampens down the harshness associated with stainless steel strings, plus they feel smooth.
    Nickel dulls too quickly for my liking so for me these strings are perfect. Bright consistent tone. The extra life is just a bonus ! Been using them for years now.

I do keep dropping hints to EB to have a think about making coated steels.....
    size 105-50 please

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I would like to see some coated ones 40-125 and some cobalt and cobalt flats 40-125.
    5 string players need choices too.

User Info Menu

I’ve got a set of GHS Boomers on my Stingray 4H right now and I dig the slightly tighter string tension over the EB Slinkys I had on it before (same gauge). What are other brands with tighter string tension?