Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your go to bass/string combo?

User Info Menu

What's your go to bass/string combo?

I'm guessing you all have a lot of EBMM basses, and I also think (hope) you maybe use different kinds of strings? So the question is: If you don't know the nature of the gig/jam/recording/whatever, and you can only bring one bass, what bass would it be and what would it be strung with?
    It's totally ok to name a bass you don't currently own, and I think that if you (for some odd reason) don't chanmpion EBMM strings you can just mention type/material/gauges, ok?

In my case, I think it would be a Stingray 5H, ceramic era, strung with Group III flats.

And no, I am currently not in possession of such an instrument, but I hope to fix that situation shortly.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

I'm currently using a Caprice with Cobalt flats and a Stingray with Slinky rounds.
    Honestly, I prefer other flats over EB Cobalts, but they match the Caprice very well. My favourite flats are Fender 9050L.
    When it comes to rounds, I usually go with Slinkies. I like those strings a lot.
    Rotosound rounds and StingRay is also a devastating combo if you want a very snappy tone.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    I'm currently using a Caprice with Cobalt flats and a Stingray with Slinky rounds.
    Honestly, I prefer other flats over EB Cobalts, but they match the Caprice very well. My favourite flats are Fender 9050L.
    When it comes to rounds, I usually go with Slinkies. I like those strings a lot.
    Rotosound rounds and StingRay is also a devastating combo if you want a very snappy tone.
    That was a lot of basses and strings, now choose ONE
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

Ok, then.
    Ray 4 with Slinkies.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

I have the stock EB Slinky Roundwounds on my Bongo 5, and EB Cobalt Roundwounds on my Stingray Classic......Happy!

User Info Menu

Since I only own the 2 sterlings, one of them has super slinky and the other cobalt. Depending on the gig would make me pick which one. Lately my HH gets to leave the house more. So probably that one with the 2824 set.

User Info Menu

A Candy Red Bongo 5H with TI Flats that are now 15 years old.

User Info Menu

as my new-to-me Caprice came with flats (I think EB Group IIIs) i'd go with that combo.

User Info Menu

I’m pretty boring in the fact I use the same strings on everything (105-50 Costed Stainless Steel ....) and all my basses are 4H based so take your pick,
    (Blue StingRay is go to bass though)

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Boingo FL4 H-p with cobalt flats.

Not that the cobalt makes much
    difference cuz I turn the mag PU
    way down most of the time.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Redwood SR 4H with regular Slinkys.
    20th Anniversary SR5 HH "California Sunset" born 5/10/2007
    SR H "Redwood" born 8/6/2008
    SR5 HS "Dargie Delight" born 2/28/2007
    SR5 Classic "Vintage White" born 5/17/2010
    SUB5 "Graphite" born 4/1/2005
    SR5 H LF "Black" born 4/1/2003
    SR H "Orange Firemist" born 1/28/2009
    SUB1 H "Graphite" born 1/27/2005
    GK Fusion 550 & Neo 212 II
    GK MB150E & MBX
    GK MB112 II & 112MBP

User Info Menu

EBMM Stingray Special 4. with Elixir 45-100.
    Lovely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    Ok, then.
    Ray 4 with Slinkies.
    Nice, I could live with that too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I have the stock EB Slinky Roundwounds on my Bongo 5, and EB Cobalt Roundwounds on my Stingray Classic......Happy!
    Are those 4 or 5 strings? The bongo, is it one of the fabled single H perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    A Candy Red Bongo 5H with TI Flats that are now 15 years old.
    If I ever get to your house I will play that bass, and offer to buy it too I think. Might be a good idea to hide some basses...