The Vault
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Faulty Stingray 5

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Faulty Stingray 5

    Hi. This is my first ever post.
    My Stingray 5 has stopped working, and my local luthier is unable to diagnose the fault. The soldered connections to the input jack seem intact. I have put a fresh battery in. On my last gig I managed to get a signal by pushing the jack plug to one side and taping the lead to the bass to maintain the (somewhat tenuous!) connection.
    My question is: is the fault more likely to be caused by a faulty input jack, a failed pre-amp, or a loose connection elsewhere?
    All suggestions welcome!
    Thanks, people...

  2. #2
    Daniel's Avatar
    Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Roblevybass View Post
    Hi. This is my first ever post.
    My Stingray 5 has stopped working, and my local luthier is unable to diagnose the fault. The soldered connections to the input jack seem intact. I have put a fresh battery in. On my last gig I managed to get a signal by pushing the jack plug to one side and taping the lead to the bass to maintain the (somewhat tenuous!) connection.
    My question is: is the fault more likely to be caused by a faulty input jack, a failed pre-amp, or a loose connection elsewhere?
    All suggestions welcome!
    Thanks, people...
    Hi there, It sounds like you may have an issue with your input jack. Shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com with your guitar's serial number and I'll help you out.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, definitely sounds like an input jack. Did you describe the behavior you described to the "luthier"?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Did the problem start when you
    switched to a different cable ?
    If so, go back to your old cable
    and see what happens.

    My experience with many, many
    cables yields two distinct cables
    to avoid:

    1. Monster Cables can sometimes
    fuggup an output jack.
    2. Metal clad 90 degr plugs seem
    to make tenuous contact. Molded
    plastic ones are no problem.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

    "Too many basses is never enuf"

    Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    It seems the exact same problem I'm having. Contact EBMM and they'll help you.
    I love Red Paint.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Did the problem start when you
    switched to a different cable ?
    If so, go back to your old cable
    and see what happens.

    My experience with many, many
    cables yields two distinct cables
    to avoid:

    1. Monster Cables can sometimes
    fuggup an output jack.
    2. Metal clad 90 degr plugs seem
    to make tenuous contact. Molded
    plastic ones are no problem.
    Why do you say that about Monster cable ? I’ve got a couple and never had an issue.
    90deg jacks and straight metal jacks. I switched to using Neutrick jack plugs with VD cable a couple of years now, wireless and lead.
    Just interested to what you mean on the jacks causing damage to the input and how they could do that (apart from using a straight plug and bashing it)
    Last edited by danny-79; 11-15-2019 at 04:07 PM.

    StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

    https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    One of the ways that some companies accomplished "better contact" was to make the plugs slightly bigger, or change the geometry of the tip. This can end up bending things inside the jack, making it unable to detect when things are plugged in. Right angle plugs also can put a lot more angular stress on the jack.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    One of the ways that some companies accomplished "better contact" was to make the plugs slightly bigger, or change the geometry of the tip. This can end up bending things inside the jack, making it unable to detect when things are plugged in. Right angle plugs also can put a lot more angular stress on the jack.
    Ok thanks for that, that makes sense.
    The only right angle plug I’m using is on my wireless, very light cable, figured right angle plugs would be better as they are less likely to get bumped about, and I always loop around the strap when using a lead.

    StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

    https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Are you saying that straight cables work better?
    I love Red Paint.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    Are you saying that straight cables work better?
    That’s how I’m reading it.
    If the cable is supported, looped around your strap, there is no weight on it so it really shouldn’t matter what style jack plug you use

    (It’s a pet hate of mine people that plug in with out putting the lead around the strap, and leaving the weight of the cable hanging down. Then the lead gets trodden on and, you know the rest)

    StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

    https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    90 degree are the best, straight ones are easy to break and cause damage.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    90 degree are the best, straight ones are easy to break and cause damage.
    My thoughts exactly

    StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

    https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    I've always used angled cables, looped around the strap. No problems at all.
    I love Red Paint.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums