The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Muff and other pedals

User Info Menu

Big Muff and other pedals

In honor and anticipation of NBD, I'm getting a 4 string on Saturday, I've been thinking about all my favorite things from when I last had one.

Totally into Cliff Burton I got a Big Muff distortion and wah pedal circa 1994. I've been sans 4er since 1996.

Sadly, as was the case with coke using guitar players in those days, my pedals went MIA around 2001, and I never replaced them...

So, without further ado.

I'm going to buy some pedals, and you all should tell me which ones and why you recommend them.

I can't really justify buying that same 90's model Muff, since--now vintage--they run $220 and up. I only mention it because that is at least one sound I want to reconnect with.

Obviously, I want to know about all the lovely EB pedals. Maximize my love for their fantastic products by giving me those recommendations too.

User Info Menu

I personally use a couple of Darkglass pedals, you won’t go far wrong with anything in their range. Check them out if you haven’t already

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

If you like fuzz, try a Shoe Pixel and enjoy the ultimate sonic annihilation. Not an EB pedal, but defintely a fuzz to try.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the recommendations, I've been curious about darkglass because of their price point, some of the priciest pedals I've seen... this sounds like you may be able to get what you pay for.

Sonic annihilation sounds compelling too.

User Info Menu

this is what I use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Muff and other pedals-pedalbd-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, I've been curious about darkglass because of their price point, some of the priciest pedals I've seen... this sounds like you may be able to get what you pay
    Distorting a bass sound and still retaining the low frequencies is easier said than done.
    Darkglass in my opinion has got it nailed !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    Distorting a bass sound and still retaining the low frequencies is easier said than done.
    Darkglass in my opinion has got it nailed !
    I have to acknowledge this serious endorsement of their products.

I'll try to figure out what Darkglass sounds best for me.

User Info Menu

Read lots of reviews. I would make sure whatever you choose has a blend control, as that really is essential to keeping the PUNCH in your sound. I use a Sansamp programmable for light overdrive, and a Boss Bass Overdrive. It just got the type of overdrive I wanted for some Muse type stuff.

Definitely listen to lots of sound clips and demos to find the bass fuzz/overdrive sound that is right for you.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Big Muff and other pedals-20191124_162146-jpg
    20th Anniversary SR5 HH "California Sunset" born 5/10/2007
    SR H "Redwood" born 8/6/2008
    SR5 HS "Dargie Delight" born 2/28/2007
    SR5 Classic "Vintage White" born 5/17/2010
    SUB5 "Graphite" born 4/1/2005
    SR5 H LF "Black" born 4/1/2003
    SR H "Orange Firemist" born 1/28/2009
    SUB1 H "Graphite" born 1/27/2005
    GK Fusion 550 & Neo 212 II
    GK MB150E & MBX
    GK MB112 II & 112MBP

User Info Menu

If you dig Muffs, I'd recommend Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian. I've been using it for years and it's a wonderful, wonderful clone of the old Sovtek era Muffs. I second the Darkglass vote too, they make great OD and preamp pedals. I wasn't too crazy about B3K when I tested it for a week (too scooped, modern sounding), but I have the VMT and it's the best OD pedal I've ever used.

User Info Menu

Big Muff and other pedals-4a4b38b9-5f36-4b6d-a86c-b43f0e9cc40a-jpg

User Info Menu

So yeah, distortion is nice, but why not look at tremolo and octave pedals? Also, for me a compressor is an always on thing, either the Cali76 or Diamond.

Edit: maybe I misread and you are still into Cliff Burton, then I'd suggest you give the Aguilar Agro a try too.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    So yeah, distortion is nice, but why not look at tremolo and octave pedals? Also, for me a compressor is an always on thing, either the Cali76 or Diamond.

Edit: maybe I misread and you are still into Cliff Burton, then I'd suggest you give the Aguilar Agro a try too.
    Tremolo ? Never thought of trying that on bass. Sounds fun though
    What trem pedal do you use?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post

Just looking to have fun, half wanting to explore and half wanting to try new things. What I'm seeing more than anything is that technology has changed considerably since I last played with pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    Just looking to have fun, half wanting to explore and half wanting to try new things. What I'm seeing more than anything is that technology has changed considerably since I last played with pedals.
    Over say the last 10yrs bass pedals have moved on big style. Previous to that they were just guitar pedals with the word Bass printed on them