The Vault
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No string thru on the Bongo?...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    I only see one advantage of body-through - to tighten up strings that are otherwise too floppy (every roundcore string I've played, TI flats, etc).
    I don't understand how stb could tighten up strings at all? I mean, when tuned to pitch a string will have a specific tension from ball end to tuning peg regardless of the length of string between saddle/tuner and saddle/ball end, and if anything I'd think the added length of "not speaking" string would make it a small bit easier to bend as the whole length will stretch.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Blindfolded could you tell the difference between the two by sound and feel ?

The extra tension on the strings is possibly due to the break angle of the string coming over the saddle but still nothing that can’t be achieved on a top loading bridge during set up
    Last edited by danny-79; 12-12-2019 at 06:57 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post

The extra tension on the strings is possibly due to the break angle of the string coming over the saddle but still nothing that can’t be achieved on a top loading bridge during set up
    I would notice the difference in feel definitely. I'd take that gamble any day, blindfold me. Tone? Nah, less important.

First time i put my strings body-through was a year ago. I expected no difference what so ever so I was shocked to see the difference in feel. Those were EB Super Slinky strings which I've been using for years and was very, very used to their feel, tone, etc. I hated how they felt tauter and stiffer. I used that same set and put the strings through the bridge (same bass) and voila - that's what I was missing. Now, this was a F Pro Jazz bass, I haven't tried every single body through bass (they probably vary in terms of string break angle a bit), but I was convinced that I prefer my strings going through the bridge and I don't want even the slightest change in the feel that body-through brings. I don't like my strings too floppy, and I don't like them too stiff. That's why I settled on certain strings for certain tunings/needs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post

Point taken, I guess the very steep break angle when going stb could mean the string is effectively terminated at the bridge saddle, which would mean 1-2 cm storter non-speaking length.
    Never have been able to effectively feel the difference myself, but I guess it's possible
    Last edited by strummer; 12-12-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

I have only one none EBMM bass (7ender Jazz USA Deluxe 2007) and that’s through body. I’ve always strung it that way simply because, one I don’t trust the three flimsy screws that hold it to the body and two, it’s designed to be used that way so use it.
    I use the same brand and gauge strings on everything, and tune half a step down to Eb.
    I will agree on the added tension on the strings that’s in my opinion due to the break angle coming through the body. Tone wise if anything I find the whole thing unplugged isn’t as resonated as an unplugged stingray but that’s not really a fair comparison as the 7azz Deluxe (if you know the model I’m on about) is smaller body (strat width and thickness but a couple inches longer, very light bass, great for long sets!)
    But anyways that’s just my opinion on the subject. String through body, though neck Vs bolt on. The differences are there but at the end of it your splitting hairs to tell the difference
    Last edited by danny-79; 12-13-2019 at 03:20 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

There is some belief that a trapeze tail, and
    likewise a long distance from nut to peg, will
    give strings a more elastic feel. IOW tension
    at pitch is fixed as per laws of physics, but a
    different FEEL of tension, due to elasticity is
    possible.

Altho I've encountered the above idea from
    time to time, as a player with a huge variety
    of basses on hand, I can't say I'm a believer
    in the elasticity thing.

==========================

Disclaimer per my lack of expert opinion:

OTOH, I perzonally seem more or less numb
    to "feely" things that are a Big Deal to expert
    players. I hardly notice whether I'm playing a
    Sterling neck or a SR, I'm not fussy about FB
    radius, nut width, yahda yadah ;-) Not saying
    I'm hopeless ... I can feel the difference from
    TIJFs to Fender flats, cuz it's quite distinct. If
    I do encounter a neck that I really hate, I'm
    not great at describing WHY ... I just hate it !
    Last edited by Golem; 12-14-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.