Mariposa Green

Thread: Removing EQ from stingray

User Info Menu

Removing EQ from stingray

If one only plays with all of the eq knobs at center detent and never moves them, would bypassing the eq by rewiring pickup > volume > jack change the fundamental tone of the bass, or would it sound the same as keeping the EQ inline and all the knobs at center detent?

Just a random thought that passed through the transom of my mind today.
    Stingray 4H - Black Sparkle, rosewood, matching headstock - DOB 5/9/02 (sold)
    Bongo 4H - Candy Red - DOB 5/24/06
    Big Al 4 H Black, Completely Rosewood Neck, Black Pickguard - DOB 01/31/2014

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    The lovely thing about the single H Bongo is it's point-and-shoot simplicity while still maintaining the ability to blow over large vehicles full of campers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dustmite View Post
    If one only plays with all of the eq knobs at center detent and never moves them, would bypassing the eq by rewiring pickup > volume > jack change the fundamental tone of the bass, or would it sound the same as keeping the EQ inline and all the knobs at center detent?

Just a random thought that passed through the transom of my mind today.
    If you bypass the preamp you will lose the buffer, so the sound won't be the same on the other side of the cable. Probaly sound good anyway, like the Vulfpeck bass. I guess you could also bypass the tone controls by soledring jumpers to the circuit board and keep the preamp, that would effectively just cripple your ability to adjust tone.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Interesting thought. Pickup-buffer-out.

I’ve not taken my Bongo much further than centred dent. That bass scares me !

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Yeah, I wasn't talking about completely removing the preamp, just bypassing the EQ. Volume only, but with the preamp intact.
    Stingray 4H - Black Sparkle, rosewood, matching headstock - DOB 5/9/02 (sold)
    Bongo 4H - Candy Red - DOB 5/24/06
    Big Al 4 H Black, Completely Rosewood Neck, Black Pickguard - DOB 01/31/2014

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    The lovely thing about the single H Bongo is it's point-and-shoot simplicity while still maintaining the ability to blow over large vehicles full of campers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dustmite View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about completely removing the preamp, just bypassing the EQ. Volume only, but with the preamp intact.
    A special bass, or all of them?
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

Even when set to center detents,
    every EQ-pre has its signature
    tonal contour ... IOW there is no
    such thing as "flat".
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Even when set to center detents,
    every EQ-pre has its signature
    tonal contour ... IOW there is no
    such thing as "flat".
    That's why I suggested jumpers to bypass the pots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    That's why I suggested jumpers to bypass the pots.
    That was my trail of thought too, pickup straight to jack would be something completely different.
    Bass and pre amp irrelevant just set to centre dent/neutral, nothing added or taken away

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/