The Vault
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Ever Became Of The New MM Amps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    That's my point, the Casa (and BH-500) isn't class D. Markbass has been doing class D and A/B side by side for a long time, I personally think it's great that there are ultra light options. I enjoy more traditional amp designs, but a 2 kg amp is handy when taking the subway to a gig
    It's still just a repackaged LM3 in a heavier case. Class D or not, Markbass have always been lightweight amps. It's not even a big (at least toroidal) transformer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    It's still just a repackaged LM3 in a heavier case. Class D or not, Markbass have always been lightweight amps. It's not even a big (at least toroidal) transformer.
    Wow, you really know _everything_.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

I've always wondered the end result of Class A/B vs Class D when it comes to solid state power and bass amplifiers. Most the bass amps I have are older Carvin units with toroids and Class A/B power sections. I do have a smaller 250 Watt Carvin that is class D, and a Power amp that is Class D.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

My knowledge of an amplifiers inner workings is limited, though I do have a lot of experience using different types of amps. While I like the sound of tube amps better, I really appreciate the reliability of many solid-state versions-- and they sound pretty darn good too

Around 3:20 in the video, Marco DeVirgiliis says that the MM amps are different from Markbass amps. It's difficult to understand exactly what he's saying at times, but he does mention the speakers, cab and something about the internals. Earlier in the video he also mentions that the preamp is solid state, with valves in the power section.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I've always wondered the end result of Class A/B vs Class D when it comes to solid state power and bass amplifiers. Most the bass amps I have are older Carvin units with toroids and Class A/B power sections. I do have a smaller 250 Watt Carvin that is class D, and a Power amp that is Class D.
    Ahh yes, Carvin. Their gear has been a staple of mine since the mid 1990s. Currently, a BRX 2x10 cab sits below my Mesa D800, and on the other side of my desk I have a MB250 15" combo with a dark brown "western" covering. That little Carvin has been a real workhorse over the last six years or so; I sometimes forget to turn it off after muting it, and a day or two later realize that it's been on all that time(!) Even so, it still keeps truckin'

Sadly, since the split in the company (Carvin/Kiesel) the Carvin offerings have been thinned way down and most of-- if not all of it-- is no longer USA made.

Anyway...

I have seen a few of the newer MM speaker cabinets available here in the US, with "Audiophile" painted on the lower front grill, but haven't seen any of the heads yet. I really should set aside a few bucks to have ready when I do find one
    Last edited by Monahan; 12-19-2019 at 11:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monahan View Post
    I have seen a few of the newer MM speaker cabinets available here in the US, with "Audiophile" painted on the lower front grill, but haven't seen any of the heads yet. I really should set aside a few bucks to have ready when I do find one
    From what I remember, the Audiophile line was about 15 years ago, there was a nice amp called HD-500 and speaker boxes that everyone loved the sound of.
    This line up had a more modern styling, and the Audiophile logo looked a lot like a car logo from yesteryear. If I ever stumbe on a HD-500 I might buy it.

Last edited by strummer; 12-19-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

I'd love to see a Class D and maybe a full tube amp from EBMM.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

The traditional guitar amp business is a tough business with more and more guitar players moving to Fractal, Helix and similar emulated systems.

User Info Menu

I kept my amp for about a year after getting a Fractal. It was finally sold because it wasn’t getting played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    I'd love to see a Class D and maybe a full tube amp from EBMM.
    That WOULD be nice, but currently EBMM isn't set up to make amps at all. Mark Bass made the reissue amps, and after they didn't work out, I don't know if they'd be up for trying it again. There are other makers out there they can work with, but it all depends on people wanting to buy enough of them to make it worth it.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    The traditional guitar amp business is a tough business with more and more guitar players moving to Fractal, Helix and similar emulated systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    I kept my amp for about a year after getting a Fractal. It was finally sold because it wasn’t getting played.
    That certainly seems like where things have been/are going-- the Fractal route. In fact, most of the churches I've played in over the last five or six years are "amp-free" stages, with stringed instruments going direct to the house.

Also been noticing quite a bit of attention to preamp DIs.

Perhaps the used market will provide for some real gems at reasonable prices...

User Info Menu

Most likely, they didn't sell, simple as that. They are not exactly hard to find on the used market, and while some people like them, they are also up against tons of amp builders out there right now, making every conceivable type of amplifier.
    Very reasonable thought there, but ....

Seems like a company that can make a
    success out of The Bongo ought to be
    able to succeed in any related arena.

Yes I loooove my Bongos, but IIRC the
    initial reaction to their intro was a far
    cry from rapid broad acceptance.
    Last edited by Golem; 12-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Mark Bass made the reissue amps, ..........
    Never knew that, but now that you've
    edumacated me on that, I'm not really
    sooprized. My MM basses get along
    verrrrry well with my MarkBass stuff !
    A perfect match ... to me. But "to me"
    means flatwounds, no frets, etc. IOW,
    whatever is perfect for me might lack
    broader appeal in the marketplace :-(
    [Just read my sig lines below]
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    It's still just a repackaged LM3 in a heavier case. Class D or not, Markbass have always been lightweight amps. It's not even a big (at least toroidal) usa today protonmailtransformer.
    Wow, you really know everything thank you so much for your help
    Last edited by Fleurrose; 01-05-2020 at 02:17 PM.