December 2019 BFR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Ever Became Of The New MM Amps

User Info Menu

What Ever Became Of The New MM Amps

It was a year or two ago (longer?) that I remember reading of folks at Music Man talking with Mark Bass about reintroducing the Music Man bass amplifiers...

Several of the newer MM bass videos show folks plugged into small MM combos, which I suspect are old models.

Anybody know what ever became of that? I would LOVE a small/medium MM combo

User Info Menu

Didn't the guitar amps make a return for a while in 2014? Then they went away.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago they launched, and for some reason they were discontinued after a while. There are some in Sweden at least, and they work fine
    There was a head, BH-500, and also a 810 as seen here: MUSIC MAN BH-500 AMP & 810 BS CABINET
    Also there was a combo, 115b-250: Amps | bass, electric bass, luthier, online shop | DoctorBass
    Maybe there were other options too, can't remember, and I have no ieda why they stopped. It was all built by Markbass, I think based on markbass amps but I'm not sure. Sounded good ant esepcially the BH-500 head was a nice one

Edit: Found the manual, dated 21 october 2014, so there around they were getting available I guess
    https://www.zikinf.com/manuels/music...r-en-50456.pdf
    Last edited by strummer; 12-13-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monahan View Post
    It was a year or two ago (longer?) that I remember reading of folks at Music Man talking with Mark Bass about reintroducing the Music Man bass amplifiers...

Several of the newer MM bass videos show folks plugged into small MM combos, which I suspect are old models.

Anybody know what ever became of that? I would LOVE a small/medium MM combo
    Good question...????
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

2014/15... boy how time flies! As I continued to dig, I did find a few videos talking about the new amps. Here is a good one from the unveiling at Musikmesse '14:

Browsing the online sellers, I did find a few nice examples of the old ones, but both were in New York, and both require local pickup. Guess I just need to put some money aside and keep my eyes open for a nice combo.

Still though, I can't help but wonder what happened and why the project had such a short life span...

User Info Menu

Didn’t even know there was a reintroduced amp, I must of been having a doze

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Most likely, they didn't sell, simple as that. They are not exactly hard to find on the used market, and while some people like them, they are also up against tons of amp builders out there right now, making every conceivable type of amplifier.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

The bass heads and the cabinets - especially that 2-12 cab - were really great.

User Info Menu

I bought the 115 B250 combo when it came out a few years ago. Very powerful unit!

86 Sabre Nat
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 proto Peach
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

Seem to remember these may have only been released in Europe and not in the US?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    Seem to remember these may have only been released in Europe and not in the US?
    Unfortunately they never made it to a US release
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Aren't they basically Markbass with MM aesthetics? Markbass is doing ok in Europe, but it's not as popular anymore. Now if those were like the old tube power section amps, that would be something. Markbass? Meh. Ok I guess, whatever.

User Info Menu

Where in Europe are you? I'm in Sweden and here Markbass isn't much of a deal, but in the short period when the new MM amps were available they sold ok I hear. And the BH-500 is a lot like the Casa, no class D
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Where in Europe are you? I'm in Sweden and here Markbass isn't much of a deal, but in the short period when the new MM amps were available they sold ok I hear. And the BH-500 is a lot like the Casa, no class D
    Central Europe. Older Markbass heads weren't Class D either. Everything is Class D nowadays though.. Shame.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    Central Europe. Older Markbass heads weren't Class D either. Everything is Class D nowadays though.. Shame.
    That's my point, the Casa (and BH-500) isn't class D. Markbass has been doing class D and A/B side by side for a long time, I personally think it's great that there are ultra light options. I enjoy more traditional amp designs, but a 2 kg amp is handy when taking the subway to a gig