New Prodigy

Thread: Bass guitar HELP

User Info Menu

Bass guitar HELP

I'm just wondering out the specs of my stingray 5, pickup, body wood, the type of maple on the neck, neck finishing(if possible). where it was first out of the factory? Number 50538
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Is that the full serial number? Anyway, there's a serial number database now for Ernie Ball Music Man Basses, and guitars.

Serial Number Database | Ernie Ball Music Man

However, I would think that the fretboard material and neck finish should be fairly easy to see, even without looking up the serial number.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Yes, that is full serial number. Do you want any photos? (s/n 50538)
    Database says only that guitar is from March 89`. On official website it shows that it's fretless but the problem is that my guitar is not fretless. I would like to know what happened. How to find out?
    The body shows date of 21st Dec 88` and the neck shows 21st Feb 89`. Is there any way to find more information? I really would like to know if all is original. In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements. Can I find anything about that on net?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krystek View Post
    On official website it shows that it's fretless but the problem is that my guitar is not fretless. In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements.
    Black bodies usually were poplar at this time. Fretless were pau ferro.
    Probably that thing got refretted or someone swapped the neck.
    Post some pics also with the side-dots.
    Last edited by Bert; 12-26-2019 at 06:15 AM.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krystek View Post
    Yes, that is full serial number. Do you want any photos? (s/n 50538)
    Database says only that guitar is from March 89`. On official website it shows that it's fretless but the problem is that my guitar is not fretless. I would like to know what happened. How to find out?
    The body shows date of 21st Dec 88` and the neck shows 21st Feb 89`. Is there any way to find more information? I really would like to know if all is original. In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements. Can I find anything about that on net?
    Hi. The serial numbers for SR5 Basses of that vintage were five digit so your reading of "50538" serial is vintage consistent. The data base date is when the Bass is ready for dispatch from the factory. It's highly unlikely the EB data base is incorrect.

I agree with you when you say " In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements". Did you buy your Bass new from a store or is it second hand?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    ...Probably that thing got refretted ....Post some pics also with the side-dots.
    As Bert has alerted to, side dots will reveal a modded neck.

User Info Menu

Bass guitar HELP-img_3401-jpgBass guitar HELP-img_3402-jpg

User Info Menu

Is there any chance to check if the neck and the body (based on the dates on them) "came out" together?

User Info Menu

The dot pictures sure look like a factory fret job.

The short time difference between the body date
    and neck date doesn't seem suspicious ... but then
    again, the data base SHOULD agree, yet it doesn't.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your help!
    By the way, what do you think about that, what should I do? Bass sounds good, everything is original...but that unknown history ��

User Info Menu

Love it and play it. Who knows, maybe the store that sold it swapped the neck for a customer who really wanted a fretless neck on another color guitar.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I owned a 88 SR5, what a bass. Congrats on finding it. Would love to see more pictures, especially the birdseye on the back of the neck.