Mariposa Green

Thread: 2018 Stingray 5HH Special

User Info Menu

2018 Stingray 5HH Special

Love this bass, BUT I have an issue so before I contact support I'd appreciate some input if anyone has experienced a similar situation. The G string slips off of the fretboard when playing aggressively and/or trying to bar a chord for instance. It looks like to me that the nut isn't cut correctly, or maybe the fret bevel isn't quite right?. I have attached a picture any input is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Stingray 5HH Special-img_20200104_104910696-jpg  

User Info Menu

I’m no expert on SR5’s but that does look a bit off to me.
    Customer service is your friend, send them an email

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Thank you for the input, Danny. I just sent info to support.
    Last edited by thegroovemaster; 01-04-2020 at 10:50 AM.

User Info Menu

It may be a bit of both. The picture looks similar enough to mine, but I couldn't rule anything out by any means.

It is a common criticism that the strings can slide off the fret with these guitars.
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1
    Cutlass 4 M&M green with black headstock

User Info Menu

Looks the same as all of my 5s with compensated nuts.
    20th Anniversary SR5 HH "California Sunset" born 5/10/2007
    SR H "Redwood" born 8/6/2008
    SR5 HS "Dargie Delight" born 2/28/2007
    SR5 Classic "Vintage White" born 5/17/2010
    SUB5 "Graphite" born 4/1/2005
    SR5 H LF "Black" born 4/1/2003
    SR H "Orange Firemist" born 1/28/2009
    SUB1 H "Graphite" born 1/27/2005
    GK Fusion 550 & Neo 212 II
    GK MB150E & MBX
    GK MB112 II & 112MBP

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by njhammer View Post
    Looks the same as all of my 5s with compensated nuts.
    Here is the response from support and yes I was able to get the adjustment to work, go figure, see how the A string lines up closer to the center of the dot and the distance from the end of the board for B and G is just about even. The bass plays well now so all is well in "grooveville" again Thank you to those who provided input greatly appreciated!

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for sending those pictures over. From the pictures, it looks like the neck is a little off-set in the neck pocket. The SR5 strings do run close to the edge of the fretboard as our necks are pretty narrow. It could be that the neck shifted in shipping and needs to be readjusted upwards a little bit. If you loosen the neck bolts, you can physically shift the neck up, towards the bass side of the fretboard and realign the strings. Here is a link to a video explaining how to do it: Fixing String Alignment on a Bolt-On Neck Guitar - DrKevGuitar.com - YouTube It's a pretty standard adjustment for guitars with bolt-on necks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Stingray 5HH Special-img_20200109_193649351-jpg  
    Last edited by thegroovemaster; 01-09-2020 at 06:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Oooh the neck yank, a terrifying move for sure, glad you got the issue sorted
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

such a very intresting topic
    I am New Here in this community. and i am working with Calgary Painters

Thanks Best Regards
    Stucco Painters Calgary

Services- Knock Down Ceiling Calgary & Exterior House Painting Calgary

User Info Menu

Charlotte had surgery...

Well yinz'all (pgh 'ezz) I decided to have the local professional luthier (I mean local specialty music shop pro not the "box" store dude) Fashion a new double-wide bone nut and tweak the string width settings just a bit. The strings line up evenly top to bottom, the A string rides centered over the dots, improved intonation, action and no more G string slipping off of the fretboard. The proof is in the "puddin'-Harley"... She plays like a dream and rumbles the seats! Feel free to comment as you see fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Stingray 5HH Special-img_20200123_215628992-jpg   2018 Stingray 5HH Special-img_20200123_215621520-jpg   2018 Stingray 5HH Special-img_20200123_215747669-jpg  
    Last edited by thegroovemaster; 01-27-2020 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

How does your bass intonate with the new nut?
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

That’s one way of going about it !
    Glad you have it sorted to your liking

User Info Menu

strummer - "How does your bass intonate with the new nut?"

In all seriousness, the intonation AND action is spot on. Plays wonderfully now to my liking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thegroovemaster View Post
    strummer - "How does your bass intonate with the new nut?"

In all seriousness, the intonation AND action is spot on. Plays wonderfully now to my liking.
    Good stuff!
    I was curious, as your new nut does not have compensation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Good stuff!
    I was curious, as your new nut does not have compensation.
    I appreciate the concept behind the compensated nut , 3-4 of my EBMM’s have them but personally can’t tell the difference. (Apart from the bridge saddles being visually more in line with each other on the ones with the compensated nuts)