The Vault
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Motivation to Practice

User Info Menu

That Bass Aerobics book looks great thanks for the suggestion Brash47
    Always looking at New and different things to learn and play and keep things fresh.

Only thing I could suggest is learn something completely different or work on sight reading or theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottbass71 View Post
    That Bass Aerobics book looks great thanks for the suggestion Brash47
    Always looking at New and different things to learn and play and keep things fresh.

Only thing I could suggest is learn something completely different or work on sight reading or theory
    Got my copy in the post this morning, (been charged twice by Amazon so prob got a second copy on its way too ?!?!?!).
    52x different exercises, one a week. Seems like a plan. Use it as a warm up before starting on new stuff. Couple of bands caught my attention so busy transcribing now

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

👍👍👍
    You can probably 1 day the first 5-7 exercises depending on skill, but then start relaxing it and going week to week. Repetition is key. Also....take this time to really sit back and listen to your tone, note striking, and left hand placement. Structured practice, even fun like this book is will just get you more solid.

Take a lesson from the late GREAT Neil Peart of RUSH. After 25+ years of touring. He started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber, because Neil knew that even the greats are students every day....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A lot of good stuff here; I really appreciate this thread!

The way I've dealt with the low motivation/inspiration problem happens naturally; I will leave the bass in its case, and spend more time in my woodshop where I continue to create, but with a different medium-- wood. After a week or two I'll hear a song on the radio ("Who Can It Be Now?" was the latest) and find a burst of motivation to spend time with my bass, working out the tune. For me this happens in waves.

However, to sit down & practice sticking to a set schedule... well that's a different story. It's like going to the gym-- it requires you to develop the habit of going, then sticking to it even when you don't feel like it. When you're on the other side, you're glad you muscled though it.

That kind of practice is something that I've not been doing lately, but know I should be. AND that's where this thread comes in--

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    ������
    You can probably 1 day the first 5-7 exercises depending on skill, but then start relaxing it and going week to week. Repetition is key. Also....take this time to really sit back and listen to your tone, note striking, and left hand placement. Structured practice, even fun like this book is will just get you more solid.

Take a lesson from the late GREAT Neil Peart of RUSH. After 25+ years of touring. He started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber, because Neil knew that even the greats are students every day....

Thanks again for the heads up, it’s a pretty good book. Between that and the transcribing I’m getting back on track. Using the book to kick the session of with, then onto new tracks

User Info Menu

Today I been mostly playing HHSR

Productive day ! Mojo is back ! Happy Dan !
    Just saying

User Info Menu

I'm happy too. My SRS 4H is finally back home and I'm gonna take it to rehearsals later tonight.

2020 Motivation to Practice-img_20200129_171926-jpg
    2020 Motivation to Practice-img_20200129_171951-jpg
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

I have this and have worked through the book a few times. Its not the end all be all, but it's damn fine and the play along stuff is fun.

Bass Aerobics | Hal Leonard Online

Practice.....STRUCTURED practice is years ahead of just doodling. The lessons are really quick and you can get back to doodling..but do this every day for 3 weeks and tell me if you feel a difference.

Brash

So I’m a few weeks into the book. I’ve been spending the first 30-60mins of every practice session on this book and I have to say I’m seriously impressed with it.
    I’ve been recommended and own lots of various practice book but nothing quite like this, it’s my new practice-best friend!
    Cheers Brash for the recommendation

User Info Menu

👍👍👍👍
    I found that book to be a great practice companion. The play alongs are just good clean fun. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm due for a brush up myself. I'm going to try that Bass Aerobics book. I like that it has the online feature so I can use my laptop and work along with it.
    I usually do this about every 5 years or so and always come out with new tricks and motivations.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

��������
    I found that book to be a great practice companion. The play alongs are just good clean fun. Enjoy!
    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I’m just working through the whole book slowly, chromatics being the first chapter are perfect for warming up with an fun too ! Brilliant book thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    I'm due for a brush up myself. I'm going to try that Bass Aerobics book. I like that it has the online feature so I can use my laptop and work along with it.
    I usually do this about every 5 years or so and always come out with new tricks and motivations.
    Very true. If you know of a player better than you then you need something and I needed something lol !
    I’d quite happily take lessons, I’m 100% self taught bad habits the lot but for now I highly recommend this book it’s the best £15 I’ve spent in a long while.

User Info Menu

I got the book last week and was able to spend about an hour on the first workout but being on rotation I had to spend more time on learning the new songs for the week.
    This is a good book. It's more than just a brush up for me but I intend to go through it and take the time to learn all the chapters.
    It's a bit of a challenge to stay on it so wish me luck, lol.

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B

User Info Menu

I got the book last week and was able to spend about an hour on the first workout but being on rotation I had to spend more time on learning the new songs for the week.
    This is a good book. It's more than just a brush up for me but I intend to go through it and take the time to learn all the chapters.
    It's a bit of a challenge to stay on it so wish me luck, lol.
    Glad you have got a copy. Ideally it’s one exercise a week but that’s not really practical for me either, I’m busy learning/transcribing a whole back catalogue for a new band so that is taking priority.
    anyways. I’m just going through the book at my own pace as it says to do so and just using it to warm up with at the moment.
    I’m still only on the first two exercises It’s all about playing every note clearly, speed it up when ready and move on to the next exercise when the last one is perfect, that’s my approach to it

On to a winner with this one !
    Last edited by danny-79; 03-14-2020 at 05:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I took the time last Sunday to nail down Workout 1, lol
    After moving on to Workout 2 I realized the most productive way for me to learn them fast is to break them down into sections with similar patterns.
    Workout 2 has 8 measure sections so I spent just a few minutes on sections 1 and 2.
    Truth be told, this book has me way out of my element. Being a church musician I'm used to working with chord charts that have just the key changes and I learn the rest by playing along and making up my own bass lines. I rarely work with sheet music and have never worked with tabs before so using the tabs is another step up for me. I can definitely see an advantage to tabs because I can use them to write down the bass lines I create and want to formalize in certain situations. I'm an old dog learning new tricks here but I've wanted to work into some new disciplines to expand my toolbox so I'm going to keep on working through this book and have some fun with it.

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B

User Info Menu

I took the time last Sunday to nail down Workout 1, lol
    After moving on to Workout 2 I realized the most productive way for me to learn them fast is to break them down into sections with similar patterns.
    Workout 2 has 8 measure sections so I spent just a few minutes on sections 1 and 2.
    Truth be told, this book has me way out of my element. Being a church musician I'm used to working with chord charts that have just the key changes and I learn the rest by playing along and making up my own bass lines. I rarely work with sheet music and have never worked with tabs before so using the tabs is another step up for me. I can definitely see an advantage to tabs because I can use them to write down the bass lines I create and want to formalize in certain situations. I'm an old dog learning new tricks here but I've wanted to work into some new disciplines to expand my toolbox so I'm going to keep on working through this book and have some fun with it.
    I have to agree it’s not what I’m used to, and has stuff I will possibly never use in a musical setting, or will I with out realising it ?
    Exercise two is the same pattern forwards, backwards and mirrored. Definitely a good warm up for anyone if nothing else. I will be sticking this book, best one I have come across in a long time