The Vault
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Motivation to Practice

User Info Menu

That Bass Aerobics book looks great thanks for the suggestion Brash47
    Always looking at New and different things to learn and play and keep things fresh.

Only thing I could suggest is learn something completely different or work on sight reading or theory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottbass71 View Post
    That Bass Aerobics book looks great thanks for the suggestion Brash47
    Always looking at New and different things to learn and play and keep things fresh.

Only thing I could suggest is learn something completely different or work on sight reading or theory
    Got my copy in the post this morning, (been charged twice by Amazon so prob got a second copy on its way too ?!?!?!).
    52x different exercises, one a week. Seems like a plan. Use it as a warm up before starting on new stuff. Couple of bands caught my attention so busy transcribing now

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

👍👍👍
    You can probably 1 day the first 5-7 exercises depending on skill, but then start relaxing it and going week to week. Repetition is key. Also....take this time to really sit back and listen to your tone, note striking, and left hand placement. Structured practice, even fun like this book is will just get you more solid.

Take a lesson from the late GREAT Neil Peart of RUSH. After 25+ years of touring. He started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber, because Neil knew that even the greats are students every day....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A lot of good stuff here; I really appreciate this thread!

The way I've dealt with the low motivation/inspiration problem happens naturally; I will leave the bass in its case, and spend more time in my woodshop where I continue to create, but with a different medium-- wood. After a week or two I'll hear a song on the radio ("Who Can It Be Now?" was the latest) and find a burst of motivation to spend time with my bass, working out the tune. For me this happens in waves.

However, to sit down & practice sticking to a set schedule... well that's a different story. It's like going to the gym-- it requires you to develop the habit of going, then sticking to it even when you don't feel like it. When you're on the other side, you're glad you muscled though it.

That kind of practice is something that I've not been doing lately, but know I should be. AND that's where this thread comes in--

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    ������
    You can probably 1 day the first 5-7 exercises depending on skill, but then start relaxing it and going week to week. Repetition is key. Also....take this time to really sit back and listen to your tone, note striking, and left hand placement. Structured practice, even fun like this book is will just get you more solid.

Take a lesson from the late GREAT Neil Peart of RUSH. After 25+ years of touring. He started taking lessons from Freddie Gruber, because Neil knew that even the greats are students every day....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Thanks again for the heads up, it’s a pretty good book. Between that and the transcribing I’m getting back on track. Using the book to kick the session of with, then onto new tracks

User Info Menu

Today I been mostly playing HHSR

Productive day ! Mojo is back ! Happy Dan !
    Just saying

User Info Menu

I'm happy too. My SRS 4H is finally back home and I'm gonna take it to rehearsals later tonight.

2020 Motivation to Practice-img_20200129_171926-jpg
    2020 Motivation to Practice-img_20200129_171951-jpg
    I love Red Paint.