VPJR Tuner Launch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Motivation to Practice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    I have to agree it’s not what I’m used to, and has stuff I will possibly never use in a musical setting, or will I with out realising it ?
    Exercise two is the same pattern forwards, backwards and mirrored. Definitely a good warm up for anyone if nothing else. I will be sticking this book, best one I have come across in a long time
    The biggest thing for me so far is that it’s a good exercise to strengthen my fretboard hand but also I have a habit of using only three fingers on a step down and moving one to the 4th step. These workouts are getting me to practice using all four fingers and stretching my hand to cover the four frets. After doing a workout a few times over I can feel it in my hand muscles.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

👍👍👍👍 all good stuff. We are all students our whole lives. Like the great Neil Peart did when he took lessons from the great Freddie Gruver after 30 years as a premier drummer....we can always learn.

The pic is added is what Gaddy Lee wrote to me when I met him at one of his meet and greets for his book. This pretty much sums it up for us all....

Last edited by brash47; 03-28-2020 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    The biggest thing for me so far is that it’s a good exercise to strengthen my fretboard hand but also I have a habit of using only three fingers on a step down and moving one to the 4th step. These workouts are getting me to practice using all four fingers and stretching my hand to cover the four frets. After doing a workout a few times over I can feel it in my hand muscles.
    The exercises are certainly encouraging some good habits with out realising it that will surely find their way into your playing with out you realising it

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    �������� all good stuff. We are all students our whole lives. Like the great Neil Peart did when he took lessons from the great Freddie Gruver after 30 years as a premier drummer....we can always learn.

The pic is added is what Gaddy Lee wrote to me when I met him at one of his meet and greets for his book. This pretty much sums it up for us all....

Life Long Student of Bass.

That just about sums it up. I like it !

(That’s another book I really should get a copy of)

User Info Menu

My inspirations are my basses - been playing blueburst 93 today - but they all inspire me, and none more than my two SR Specials
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Motivation to Practice-aqua-jpg   2020 Motivation to Practice-bluebirst-jpg  
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    My inspirations are my basses - been playing blueburst 93 today - but they all inspire me, and none more than my two SR Specials
    I do love blue finishes of any description. Very nice

User Info Menu

Life Long Student of Bass.

That just about sums it up. I like it !

(That’s another book I really should get a copy of)
    It was humbling to meet such a down to earth guy who, only late in his career as a bass player, really took the deep dive in to learning the history of his instrument.

Granted he's a Fender Jazz guy, but thats not the point of it. He's a pioneer of bass. The collection in his book is interesting as he was only looking for well used basses with a real story to tell. He passed on the "stuffed under the bed for 30 years" mint condition basses. I didn't realize until I read the book that during their final tour, he was playing all these vintage Jazz basses with all original hardware. So each with its own story and sound.

Geddy Lee is a very interesting dude. And going with this thread, he consistently learned new ways to sing with his instrument. From the early days of just hard 1 finger style playing, to later in his career using an almost "flamenco" style of picking his strings to get speed out of his index finger. I'm droning on. It just shows that we all are always learning something new.

I have a huge toolbox from years of playing bass and piano. Whenever I need a particular tool....I've got it in the box...jazz, rock, fusion, progressive, country....all those bass and keyboard styles are in that tool box. So keep adding to that toolbox, you never know when the moment to use that tool will come up, and you'll be darn glad you put it in there...

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Just digging this thread up to see how those who are using “The Book” are getting on with it ?

User Info Menu

I’m in my third week on rotation so I’ve been working on my weekly set lists.
    Thinking about the book here and there though.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying my book. I started all over again and I'm working it in with a 26 week program I have from another site.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    I’m in my third week on rotation so I’ve been working on my weekly set lists.
    Thinking about the book here and there though.
    I’ve not been doing a lot of band stuff. Everything is on hold so book my best friend at the min

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    I'm enjoying my book. I started all over again and I'm working it in with a 26 week program I have from another site.

What is the other program you are using? Something else to go with it would be good.
    I’m half way through the first chapter and really enjoying it, some of the exercises are better than others but I’m not asking too many questions and just getting on with it

User Info Menu

Early last year, Scott Devine at Scott's Bass Lessons offered out his 26 week technique course. I figured I'd try it out. Midway through, the pinky knuckle on my right hand got broke at work. So I had to stop. The weekly instruction, with some great videos and almost instant response on the teaching blog was awesome.

Of course its lifetime access to the course, so since my hand healed up, I'm back in that again.

I can say from over 30 years of bass playing, having studied bass in college....this is a solid technique course. Some of it is rudimentary, but so what. Its structured practice.

Nowhere in sports, music, leadership, you name it, is well developed structured practice a bad thing.

Like I say about the toolbox. Have as many tools in there as possible. You might use 5 of them regularly. But when you needed that off tool RIGHT NOW, damn you'll be glad you already have it.

User Info Menu

That sounds great, I’ll look him up. Know who he is anyways but that’s about what I’m after. Structured practice with lessons in all genres possible with the goal of improving my playing.
    Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Hey Danny, since you can really focus on one aspect of playing (at least for a short while) I'd suggest checking Janek Gwizala out.
    Have just ordered a copy of his book, “All The Good Stuff”
    Very interesting player. Looking forward to getting book and digging in

User Info Menu

Have just ordered a copy of his book, “All The Good Stuff”
    Very interesting player. Looking forward to getting book and digging in
    Strummer, do you know if there is an audio to this book ?
    There is a video that you can buy to go with it but no audio. Some say there isn’t and some say there is ?