Ready to Roar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Motivation to Practice

User Info Menu

2020 Motivation to Practice

Ok so this year hasn’t really gotten off to the great start I’d of hoped. For the first time in longer than I can remember I’m completely 100% band less, even the jam band I did with friends just for the fun of it has called it a day.
    I’ve got adverts up in all the usual places, few replies but nothing got my attention so far. Something will come along but for now it’s safe to say I’m sulking. Perhaps a bit more than I should be.

So the question is what to do with the down time in regards to making me a better bass player when motivation and enthusiasm to open a case and play is at an all time low. ?
    All suggestions welcome. (Apart from buying a new EBMM to cheer me up I’m at a bit of a loss)

Cheers
    Dan

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I caught a few truefire bass lessons for $5 each and starting working through those. I like the challenge of trying to take bits and pieces of styles I don’t play and incorporate those into my playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
    I caught a few truefire bass lessons for $5 each and starting working through those. I like the challenge of trying to take bits and pieces of styles I don’t play and incorporate those into my playing.
    Cheers I’ll look into that, there are a few online lessons but never really clicked with any of them but definitely worth revisiting

User Info Menu

I have this and have worked through the book a few times. Its not the end all be all, but it's damn fine and the play along stuff is fun.

Bass Aerobics | Hal Leonard Online

Practice.....STRUCTURED practice is years ahead of just doodling. The lessons are really quick and you can get back to doodling..but do this every day for 3 weeks and tell me if you feel a difference.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    I have this and have worked through the book a few times. Its not the end all be all, but it's damn fine and the play along stuff is fun.

Bass Aerobics | Hal Leonard Online

Practice.....STRUCTURED practice is years ahead of just doodling. The lessons are really quick and you can get back to doodling..but do this every day for 3 weeks and tell me if you feel a difference.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I’ll check it out, thank you

Edit: just found a used copy off Amazon so ordered it
    Last edited by danny-79; 01-19-2020 at 01:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Danny, since you can really focus on one aspect of playing (at least for a short while) I'd suggest checking Janek Gwizala out.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Hey Danny, since you can really focus on one aspect of playing (at least for a short while) I'd suggest checking Janek Gwizala out.
    Ok will check it out soon as

User Info Menu

+1.
    Janek is extremely passionate and meticolous about every aspect of practice. I bought 2 books from him and they're really good.
    However, I strongly suggest you to join a band, create your own or start a solo project, so you can apply to music what you learn during practice time. I think playing actual music is the best way to keep yourself motivated.
    About practice in general, I know I'm a strange guy, but to me technical practice is one of the funniest things about playing. I like to spend hours watching TV shows or movies while practicing scales, arpeggios and all that stuff. I like repetition, I like the moment when you realize you're able to do something that you couldn't do before. That's motivating, but it must be applied to music at some point or it can be pointless.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Re-read the OP, he is without a band for the first time and has downtime to fill with practice.

User Info Menu

I've read the thread carefully and I know he's an experienced player. I suggested plenty of good stuff to practice with, if practice is what he wants to do for now.
    I just suggested to also apply that practice to actual music to keep himself motivated, because I think it's the best way.
    Last edited by DrMatthewCross; 01-21-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    Ok will check it out soon as
    Or, we start a collab circle
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...

User Info Menu

Or, we start a collab circle
    A wahdewah circle? Lol

Just been chopping wood all morning. Great for frustration and now got plenty of fire wood but inspired to sit down and play, learn something new..... motivation is at an all time low.
    Had a few messages regarding new bands, couple are interesting but nothing wow factor but then again could just me me !
    Procrastination at its finest !
    I’m going for a pint with the intention of coming back and doing some practice, not lighting fire with all this freshly chopped wood and putting tv on and having a 5minzzzz.

Place your bets !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlbasscatcher View Post
    Re-read the OP, he is without a band for the first time and has downtime to fill with practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMatthewCross View Post
    I've read the thread carefully and I know he's an experienced player. I suggested plenty of good stuff to practice with, if practice is what he wants to do for now.
    I just suggested to also apply that practice to actual music to keep himself motivated, because I think it's the best way.
    Cheers guys appreciate the input, it’s really just lack of inspiration to get the motivation to pick a bass or a guitar even up and do anything with it, fear of going stagnant. Back to the top of the list

User Info Menu

Motivation might be low, but happy to see spirits are high!

User Info Menu

Motivation might be low, but happy to see spirits are high!
    Guinness atm. Spirits later lol