Straps 2020

Thread: Stingray getting the Flamed Neck Shaft?

User Info Menu

Stingray getting the Flamed Neck Shaft?

So what's up with the Stingray Special not getting the flamed/figured treatment on its roasted neck? The guitars all get it. Why are we being left out?

User Info Menu

Possibly because a much bigger piece of figured maple is needed for a bass, and that would be costly.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Flamed maple is less stable/more sensitive to weather changes too, especially without any hard finish on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Possibly because a much bigger piece of figured maple is needed for a bass, and that would be costly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    Flamed maple is less stable/more sensitive to weather changes too, especially without any hard finish on it.
    Well its certainly something they used to do, and in fact one of the special editions they did for Guitar Center last year had it. So between them doing it on their guitars, and even doing on a limited edition of the special last year. I don't think that weather changes is the reason. Maybe cost??? But geez that's some detailed cost cutting.

User Info Menu

Might simply be a supply issue getting pieces of wood big enough to make a bass neck out of. EBMM is not a wood supplier, and is limited by the market. In general they have offered BEM and Flamed maple necks much more often on guitars than on basses. There's a lot more string tension involved with a bass as well.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Might simply be a supply issue getting pieces of wood big enough to make a bass neck out of. EBMM is not a wood supplier, and is limited by the market. In general they have offered BEM and Flamed maple necks much more often on guitars than on basses. There's a lot more string tension involved with a bass as well.
    This. A lot more tension on the bass neck than a guitar. Usually, the flamed neck version of EBMM basses have a gloss poly finish on them. My BFR Stingray had a roasted flamed maple neck, and a poly finish on it. I still prefer my regular maple stability wise.

User Info Menu

Hmm ok I guess that makes sense and I'm a bit more ok with it now. I plan to purchase a Special this year and had been wanting the figured neck for aesthetic reasons but if that comes at the cost of requiring a poly finish, then I guess I'm glad they don't have them normally. It's been a few years since I've played a StingRay but the gun oil and wax finish on the neck was one of the things I liked most about playing it.

*Insert The More You Know gif here*

However, like you said "usually" they are given a gloss finish. For example the GC exclusive below is oil, which I assume is the oil and wax blend. Does anyone have experience with a figured neck with oil and wax finish?

Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay Special H Electric Bass Parham Red | Guitar Center
    Last edited by ThomThomKC; 01-23-2020 at 10:03 AM.

User Info Menu

The whole stability issue has been debated, but if figured necks were less stable I doubt they would be used so much on so many premium instruments. I could be wrong though. Ultimately I think the figured necks on the guitars are a big selling point, but it's not something that would make or break the sale of Stingray Special basses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    This is not the reason - I have a Neptune blue PDN Sabre (well quite possibly THE Sabre in that finish) - it has a stripey flamed maple neck with oil and wax finish. It's not unstable at all.

When the new Stingray Special was first unveiled Scott Ball explained some of the reasons for more limited options than in the past - eg no matching headstocks - this related to cost and the instruments achieving a particular price band. I'm guessing this is why - also the BFR editions have the crazy figured necks (they are a higher price). However I have two Stingray Specials and several older Stingrays with non-figured necks - with use and age they have all become quite figured (though not the crazy birds eye or flame of limited editions or Classic Rays) - nonetheless v nice
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

User Info Menu

Dr T is correct. If we offered the Special stock with a figured neck it would be ~$500 more street. Figured woods and cases carry the most cost.
    "Scott Moreno"

User Info Menu

Well, there is a current MM bass model with a flamed maple, oil & wax neck, but technically it's a Sterling derivative: the Joe Dart signature model