Strap Blocks

Thread: Stingray 5 pickup detached from cover

User Info Menu

Stingray 5 pickup detached from cover

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
    I just bought a Stingray 5 (1992), and I got it shipped from Italy to Germany.
    As I opened the case, I noticed that the pickup was detached from the cover and lying inside the bass body. I guess it detached due to some shock during transportation.

What would be IYO the best way to fix it? I read somewhere that the newest versions have the pickup glued to the cover with some silicone... should I use that method? And where should I put it exactly?

Thank you for your time!

User Info Menu

Do you have some pictures of what you are talking about? Usually the springs that hold the pickup up are under the pickup itself, so the cover detaching is not really possible.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by francescoalagna View Post
    And where should I put it exactly?
    The three screws holds the plastic pickup cover. The spring between cover underneath the cover give the tension to adjust the pickup height and won't let the screws get loose.
    The pickup is mostly glued (SR5) into that cover - but that doesn't matter.
    http://forums.ernieball.com/attachme...2&d=1528484102
    Pics would help.
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

Ahh, I thought they were under the body of the pickup. Well in that case it's possible it somehow came unglued.

User Info Menu

At the moment I only have this picture with me...

I unscrewed the cover, and I noticed that nothing is holding the pickup attached to it but the "friction".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stingray 5 pickup detached from cover-20200124_115004-jpg  

User Info Menu

At the moment I only have this picture with me...

I unscrewed the cover, and I noticed that nothing is holding the pickup attached to it but the "friction".
    You can probably put some soft foam/sponge rubber (moosgummi) underneath the pickup to keep it in place.

User Info Menu

I would contact customer service and see what they say. I do remember earlier models having the springs under the base plate of the pickup. What do you see if you take the screws all the way out and remove the cover?

User Info Menu

This is the pickup after I remove the cover. I see no traces of glue or silicone.

I do remember earlier models having the springs under the base plate of the pickup
    There's nothing under the pickup, just a hole in the body, which could theoretically host some springs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stingray 5 pickup detached from cover-20200124_110147-jpg  

User Info Menu

The glue is not 100% necessary, just some form of padding underneath the pick up and body. if you don’t have springs some foam will do the job perfectly or at least just as well. as long as there is enough give in it so the pick up will sit at the correct height when the three screws are replaced

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

The original ones used to look like this:

1978 Original Pickup Music Man Stingray Bass | BanjoWarehouse.com

Just seems weird that it's never been noticed before. Maybe the springs fell out?

Daniel is offline Ernie Ball, Inc. Ernie Ball Customer Service

User Info Menu

This is the pickup after I remove the cover. I see no traces of glue or silicone.

There's nothing under the pickup, just a hole in the body, which could theoretically host some springs.
    There should be some springs underneath the pickup holding it together. Shoot me an email at customerexperience@ernieball.com if you'd like to order some replacements.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your replies. Since I have a gig on Friday, I temporarily fixed everything with some double-sided tape between pickup and cover and some foam between pickup and body. It seems pretty sturdy right now.

I'll let you know if this solution holds!

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your replies. Since I have a gig on Friday, I temporarily fixed everything with some double-sided tape between pickup and cover and some foam between pickup and body. It seems pretty sturdy right now.

I'll let you know if this solution holds!
    Found another pic from an 1988. Don't know if it still looked like this in 1992.
    Stingray 5 pickup detached from cover-bildschirmfoto-2020-02-26-um-09-52-16-jpg