VPJR Tuner Launch

Thread: Why don't the 4 string models have the pickup switch?

User Info Menu

Why don't the 4 string models have the pickup switch?

Hey all! New stingray owner here. I have a 5HH but have also been interested in getting a 4H as well, but I've noticed that none of the 4H models come with the pickup switch, but all of the 5H models do. Why is the switch only offered on the 5H models, as opposed to the 4H? It seems like a weird inconsistency in the lineup.

User Info Menu

Probably to keep with the classic Stingray style, they never had a switch. Fivers introduced it. Sterling 4H does have a switch on the other hand.

User Info Menu

SR4H and SR5H are worlds apart, completely different preamp. As mentioned the closest thing to the SR5H would be a Sterling

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

What mouth & Danny both say.

User Info Menu

Which era of Stingray are you talking about? The Stingray 5 has undergone a lot of changes over the years. Before the Stingray Special came out, the Stingray 4 and 5 were very similar electronically, which is how they were since 2007, when they moved the 5 back to Alnico pickups, and then created the Sterling 5.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    Probably to keep with the classic Stingray style, they never had a switch. Fivers introduced it. Sterling 4H does have a switch on the other hand.
    If you want classic style, there is the Stingray Classic. I really would love to see a Stingray 4H with the switching of the 5H. Feel they missed an opportunity to do this with the Stingray Special. Was a redesign. Adding the switch to the 4H would have made sense to do at that time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    If you want classic style, there is the Stingray Classic. I really would love to see a Stingray 4H with the switching of the 5H. Feel they missed an opportunity to do this with the Stingray Special. Was a redesign. Adding the switch to the 4H would have made sense to do at that time.
    I completely agree. It's annoying that I have to buy a 5 string just to get the pickup switching option, and you're right, the stingray special series would have been the perfect line to add it to.

Quote Originally Posted by mouth View Post
    Makes sense, but if ppl don't like the switch they can just not use it! I kid, though in all seriousness I'm surprised that it wasn't added to the stingray special line. I can't be the only person that wants a stingray 4H with the 3-way switch.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    SR4H and SR5H are worlds apart, completely different preamp. As mentioned the closest thing to the SR5H would be a Sterling
    That's all good, I'd be ok with them having different preamps. The switch isn't part of the preamp though, and that is what I was wondering about, not the preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Which era of Stingray are you talking about? The Stingray 5 has undergone a lot of changes over the years. Before the Stingray Special came out, the Stingray 4 and 5 were very similar electronically, which is how they were since 2007, when they moved the 5 back to Alnico pickups, and then created the Sterling 5.
    Not talking about any era specifically, I was just curious as to why I've never seen a stingray 4 string with the 3-way switch. I wanted a 4H stingray but with the extra tonal options of the switch.

Thanks guys for the info! I won't be finding the bass that I'm searching for anytime soon!
    Last edited by Recog; 03-09-2020 at 10:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Honestly, the switch doesn't change the sound that much, as the SR5H since 2007 just has parallel, series, and series with a "filter". The earlier SR5H had a phantom coil underneath for a hum cancelling single coil sound, which brought a lot more variety in sound.

User Info Menu

Well, I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. I've had a whole boatload of SR5s over the years and I flip the switch all the way back toward the bridge and will smack anyone who dares to touch it. Whatever setting that is, and I used to know but now apparently don't have that kind of space left in my brain, that's THE SETTING.

Don't touch my switch!

User Info Menu

Honestly, the switch doesn't change the sound that much, as the SR5H since 2007 just has parallel, series, and series with a "filter". The earlier SR5H had a phantom coil underneath for a hum cancelling single coil sound, which brought a lot more variety in sound.
    Well you know why they got rid of the phantom coil, don't you? Because you could only hear ghost ... notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    Well, I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. I've had a whole boatload of SR5s over the years and I flip the switch all the way back toward the bridge and will smack anyone who dares to touch it. Whatever setting that is, and I used to know but now apparently don't have that kind of space left in my brain, that's THE SETTING.

Don't touch my switch!
    I find this is definitely true on my SR5H. I want the classic sound: bridge parallel. On my SR5HS, I tend to use the switch more, as there is a lot of tonal variety. But to cut through: bridge only.

User Info Menu

I find this is definitely true on my SR5H. I want the classic sound: bridge parallel. On my SR5HS, I tend to use the switch more, as there is a lot of tonal variety. But to cut through: bridge only.
    You are right on about the tonal variety.
    I recently pulled my SR5HH out of the closet and have been using it exclusively.
    Last weekend I used the switch centered for my basic go to tone, full neck for the softer tone, and half bridge for the crispier tone.
    I plan on using this as my working bass for a while with my fretless Bongo thrown in here and there.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg

Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace