2020 StingRay Special colors
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: BFR Fretless Ray Special sighting in my neighborhood

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    BFR Fretless Ray Special sighting in my neighborhood

    Discovered a great shop a few miles from my house yesterday. This place keeps the nicer stuff in back - you look at their inventory online, and if you see something you want to play, they bring it out to you. Imagine my delight when I discovered they had this beauty:

    Ball Family Reserve Fretless Stingray Special H | Bass Guitars, Ernie Ball Music Man | Wildwood Guitars

    I'm not a fretless player, but I played it a bit anyway, just to see it. Amazing instrument.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    GC in englewood has one too. Amazing in person.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    It looks amazing.
    I have a fretless Bongo and it plays sweet.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg



    Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Great... Nice info... thanks

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Wow ! That’s some impressive grain pattern. It’s not a bass for me either but still stunning looking

    StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

    https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    That neck is insane. If I had $2.5k, I'd buy it right now.
    "I don't want you to play a riff that will impress Joe Satriani. Give me a riff that makes a kid want to learn guitar and go out and get one." - Ozzy

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Wow. Nothing would be more wasted on me than an unlined fretless, but I'd buy that thing just to stare at it.

    1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Wow. Nothing would be more wasted on me than an unlined fretless, but I'd buy that thing just to stare at it.
    Same here, and I went there just to stare at it. I did play it, but given my lack of fretless chops, I went there just to ogle over it. I'd seen it on their site.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Funny thing about fretless basses...

    When you've played for years and you have those songs where your not even looking at your fret board to play, sit with a fretless and play one of those songs.

    Its all about comfort and your hands already know where to go. Sit and play one. Don't look at the neck and just play the songs you know, even close your eyes.

    You will hit the notes just like you do on your "normal" bass, but the tonal difference in when you move that hand will sound so much cooler.

    Pick one up. Close your eyes. Play your favorites and have fun with it.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, I agree, it's not as alien as many people describe. When I played this one, it really was just the 3rd or 4th time I'd ever played a fretless, in about 25 years of playing. But I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that yeah, I could basically play it, and it sounded good. But I think it depends on what you're doing. When it went south was when I tried chordal stuff, because in that case, it's harder for the intonation to be spot on for all fingers. Without practice, that is. But yeah, it was fun to play. And just gorgeous.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    That bass is giving me gas.
    I keep going back and drooling at it.
    If I had the cash to burn just maybe, but it would be in a 10 bass harem at this point.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg



    Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    That bass is giving me gas.
    I keep going back and drooling at it.
    If I had the cash to burn just maybe, but it would be in a 10 bass harem at this point.
    Super sexy, huh ? Did you see that BFR SR5HH they've got? May be the most beautiful bass I've ever seen. And definitely the only EBMM I've ever seen with inlays (pearloid). Ugh.
    Last edited by RobertB; 03-29-2020 at 11:31 PM.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Super sexy, huh ? Did you see that BFR SR5HH they've got? May be the most beautiful bass I've ever seen. And definitely the only EBMM I've ever seen with inlays (pearloid). Ugh.
    Not til you pointed it out. That one’s amazing too but I like the fretless better even though I am a 5-string player.
    EBMM definitely outdoes themselves with these beautiful creations. That’s why I’ve only bought MM’s since switching to 5-string with my first Stingray.
    25th Anniversary 5HH Quilt Top, RW board, DOB - 5/1/09
    BFR SR5 HH Honeyburst, Roasted Maple Neck, DOB - 10/22/10
    Bongo 5HS, Blue Pearl, RW board, Custom Pickguard, DOB - 04/11/12
    Bongo 5HHp Mahogany, Roasted, Honeyburst, DOB - 9/14/12
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Neptune Blue, Pau Ferro board, Black Pearloid pg



    Ampeg SVT-450H
    SVT-410HLF
    Boss GT-10B
    Bassist for The Dave Morrow Band
    Some of our songs on myspace

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    Funny thing about fretless basses...

    When you've played for years and you have those songs where your not even looking at your fret board to play, sit with a fretless and play one of those songs.

    Its all about comfort and your hands already know where to go. Sit and play one. Don't look at the neck and just play the songs you know, even close your eyes.

    You will hit the notes just like you do on your "normal" bass, but the tonal difference in when you move that hand will sound so much cooler.

    Pick one up. Close your eyes. Play your favorites and have fun with it.

    Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    What I do daily :-)

    Similar funny thing is when I try to play a new song my hands keep switching over to fave songs that I already know ... hands know what they like !
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

    "Too many basses is never enuf"

    Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums