New banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Amp/Cab for my Stingrays?

User Info Menu

Best Amp/Cab for my Stingrays?

At this moment I use a Markbass 121P With a extra 12 inch Markbass Cab.
    But now I do recordings, I found that the Stingray sound much better through my earphones than through the Markbass.
    What amp/cab should I buy for a better sound?
    Suggestions?

User Info Menu

StingRay’s sound great through anything.
    Ampeg SVT of some description with the 810 is classic.
    All my amp heads are class D with either 115 or 410 or both.
    But it’s all personal choice at the end of the day. No right or wrong answer

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I use an Aguilar DB750/GS212 combination, but as Danny said Stingrays should sound good through anything, and since markbass has made a lot of amps for Musicman should not be an exception. That said, the Markbass amps have controls that can drastically alter the sound, so maybe you need to research the tone controls (like the VLE and VPF knobs), because if i recall correctly those should NOT be at noon if you want uncolored sound.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

I used markbass for years. Grew tired of the sound they put out and sold them. I have used aguilar tonehammer 500, ampeg svt, genz benz and gk since. All of these heads sound better to me. I used the aggy and svt thru a mark classis 108. That sounded great, I like their cabs just not the sterile sound of the amps. My favorite though was thru a mesa walkabout head into a bergantino 410 cab. A little grit, thick low end and rich harmonics.

User Info Menu

Try Quilter Bass Block 800, or 802.
    I have the BB800 and I always leave it flat when using my Ray. Super simple to use, very "transparent" when set flat. It just works.
    My cab is a Barefaced Super Midget, which shares the same characteristics: it's relatively flat, it's simple, it's poweful, super light and it just works.
    I love Red Paint.

User Info Menu

I play mine thru a Fractal that gives me several bass amps.
    I’d like to try the Mesa WD800.

User Info Menu

If you want a clean straight forward tone kinda like headphones try an Acoustic Image combo. Very popular for gigging URBs and for jazz geetar cuz it’s very clean.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

I play mine through Gallien Krueger 2001RB and 410 RBH (sometimes 2 of those cabs together) and love it. GK RB amps with either RBH cabs or an Ampeg 810 + Stingray are classic growly tone.

User Info Menu

Seems most replies just love their fave loud stage rig but they ignore the OP concern about the different needs involved for clean recording.
    Last edited by Golem; 04-29-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    S.U.B. SL4 - SR4p FL [x3] - SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL - SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL ceramic [x2] - Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

I've been enamored with my Fender Rumble 40 Studio. It has all the connections you need for a clean throughput into a recording rig. I use my phone to program what model amp I want to model and all the effects I need.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Seems most replies just love their fave loud stage rig but they ignore the OP concern about the different needs involved for clean recording.
    Can’t remember the last time I recorded any bass in a studio and used an amp at all. It was the late 90’s I think.
    Shame really.
    Studio these days a decent lead is all you really need.

Live recording maybe?

User Info Menu

Out of all the amps I have owned, I'd say the one with the most clear and unchanged sound of the bass was an EBS Fafner. They make great cabs as well, but I'm not sure whether you'll need that when recording.

User Info Menu

Finally made a choice. Is it the natural sound that I was after? I don't think. I bought the Ampeg PF410HLF. And I am pleased with it. A nice warm growl. I once had het SVT410 and was really mid-scooped. Nice mids and warm lows. As amp I still use the Markbass LMIII. This cab sound completely not as my 2 Markbass 12' cabs... I really like the thickness of the Ampeg without going 'boomy'
    Last edited by baske; 05-01-2020 at 03:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice choice

User Info Menu

So, out of curiosity, can you tell us something about how you record your bass? I guess miked cab, but it would be awesome if your would share the specifics
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.