VPJR Tuner Launch

View Poll Results: Is this a genuine Music-Man?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course it is.

1 100.00%
  • No way.

0 0%
  • Lacking of evidence.

0 0%

Thread: Need the schematic for Stingray 5 H with phantom coil

User Info Menu

Exclamation Need the schematic for Stingray 5 H with phantom coil

The previous owner installed OBP-3 (which I like it, so I think I will keep it). Problem is; I got severe noises in the middle (one coil + phantom) and Series positions. I sent it to a nearby workshop to adjust the action and add a passive switch, and I'm happy with everything except it's still very noisy, however he said this is normal for Stingray. Another technician said it's impossible to have the pickup operate correctly using the existing selector (non-original) and I need a "12-pole super switch", he refused to fix it because he said it's very difficult.

My plan is, I will get back to the first technician, show him the part number of the correct selector and correct wiring diagram to make the pickup work as it should be. Anyone can help with that? The rest electronics is already good.

I have searched every where already, and the best thing I got was the link to a PDF which is already broken

Another request is the serial number is already gone. One inside the neck pocket is also removed. I strongly believe that it's a genuine Music Man because the body wood is of high quality and seems to be single-piece (if this is joined then it's the best joining/matching work I've ever seen), but it will be great if you can help me confirm this from these photos:

Need the schematic for Stingray 5 H with phantom coil-untitled-jpg

Thank you in advance!!

User Info Menu

Certainly has all the clues of authenticity ... fakes don’t have a matching burst finish headstock and you can’t buy a bridge with the logo on it.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Thank you. Actually the bridge is Sterling but that makes sense because the original condition was bad, so it's expectable than some parts are already gone, even the paintwork is also redone (nice work anyway). The technician has confirmed that the pickup is original, so I would say I'm almost 100% certain at this point.

User Info Menu

Could you post a picture of the peghead front and back.
    Last edited by five7; 05-09-2020 at 08:27 AM.

User Info Menu

If you looking for:
    " Ernie Ball Music Man Premier Dealer Stingray 5 H Bass, Vintage Tobacco Sunburst, Matching Headstock "
    These came close.
    But I see an ash body, a Sterling bridge, knobs look flat, rusty pole-pieces, a homemade routing for the singlecoil, the trussrod wheel looks a bit worn, and a compensated nut.
    What does the neck-plate looks like?
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

The humbucker cavity looks familiar but apart from that I don’t know.
    Anything is fixable though so good luck with it

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Could you post a picture of the peghead front and back.
    Sure, here you are. Looking towards to hearing good news from you. Thank you in advance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    The humbucker cavity looks familiar but apart from that I don’t know.
    Anything is fixable though so good luck with it
    Thank you. I'm checking with another technician and it seems he understand the issue and interested to take care of it.
    Last edited by PJSOFT; 05-10-2020 at 09:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    If you looking for:
    " Ernie Ball Music Man Premier Dealer Stingray 5 H Bass, Vintage Tobacco Sunburst, Matching Headstock "
    These came close.
    But I see an ash body, a Sterling bridge, knobs look flat, rusty pole-pieces, a homemade routing for the singlecoil, the trussrod wheel looks a bit worn, and a compensated nut.
    What does the neck-plate looks like?
    Thank you. I got that result from Google also. But the battery position is different. Mine is on the rear end of the body (originally it came with Kotoh battery box, but the previous owner has removed it and installed the metal cap over the cavity).

A guitarist friend told me that it's possible that the neck pickup cavity is made from the factory (and also showed me a picture of a guitar with one pickup but two cavities). Anyway I think it's also possible that this is made later by a workshop, but if I were the original owner, I should not have cut it without installing a pickup there (screw holes are not drilled). Maybe this is for reducing the weight, but I don't think it's worth doing.

And yes, the trussrod and the neckplate are not original also

Last edited by PJSOFT; 05-10-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PJSOFT View Post
    Thank you. I'm checking with another technician and it seems he understand the issue and interested to take care of it.
    Good luck and keep us updated on how it’s going.

Headstock looks genuine to me, looks all original

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/