The Vault

Thread: Disconnecting H bucker to Single coil (HH to HS)

User Info Menu

Disconnecting H bucker to Single coil (HH to HS)

I have a SR5 HH. And now I wanne disconnecting one wire on the selector switch so that the pickup (closest to the bridge) is out of running. So I should have a kind of HS.
    Should I solder the place where the (black) wire was on the selector to the 'earth'?
    Or will I have 'earth' problems?
    Any Idea?

User Info Menu

Your bass will no longer be hum cancelling in all positions, and probably will now have hum in most. You will not really end up with an "HS" stingray, you'll end up with an HH stingray with hum and weak output in some settings.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I have tried it yesterday. In my ears it sounds better than before. The second position is even stronger than before. The sound is more balanced in my ears. And the 5th position is more present. No more mid bump. Even the volume and mid bump between the 1 and 3 position is gone. These are the 2 positions i prefer. Now its a reason to hold my bass. Sounds amazing in my ears. Buts thats personal i think. There was only a earth problem. But now its solved. I put a wire between the earth and the 5 position switch. Could not be happier :-)
    Last edited by baske; 07-25-2020 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Did it. Love it.
    Here’s the demo:

Music Man Stingray Special 5 HH - MOD Demo - YouTube

User Info Menu

UGC NET Previous Year Question Paper, Cut Off and Preparation Tips

Anujjindal.in focuses on providing high quality comprehensive course for various Government & Academic Exams like RBI Grade B, SEBI Grade A, NABARD Grade A, UPSC Management, NTA NET JRF etc.

User Info Menu

@ Pertyman, You inspired me ;-)