The Vault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Scale SBMM came blemished?

User Info Menu

Unhappy Short Scale SBMM came blemished?

Hi new to the forum as this is my first purchase in the EBMM/SBMM world of wonder. I ordered my SBMM short scale in Olympic White back in April after hearing glowing reviews and must say this thing is more beautiful in person!!! Kinda bummed about one thing though. It would seem I was sent a blemished model. The top of the headstock has been crudely sanded down to the bare wood like they tried to fix a last minute ding at the factory. It’s unfinished in the area and causes a minor bevel. Kinda bummed since it’s other wise fit and finish wise. Setup from the factory was non existent the saddle height on the g is like half as high as the rest of the strings so I’ll need to do a whole setup on it. Don’t know what to do about the headstock tho as it took sooooooo long for this thing to arrive idk if I want to wait that long for another but at the same time feel like Guitar Center will probably try and pass the buck or offer tiny bit of a discount back. Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Scale SBMM came blemished?-6df1a74e-7dc3-4304-ad9a-027832eeebcc-jpeg   Short Scale SBMM came blemished?-8c8344ea-1d04-4029-9e2a-98c2b87ccd5a-jpeg   Short Scale SBMM came blemished?-d804d172-26ac-46d2-b4d9-e7ee505ba2ac-jpeg  

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum.

Your Bass would not have left the factory like that. I would take the matter up immediately with your supplier.

User Info Menu

Yea Guitar Center told me they could give me $30 or send me another one in DECEMBER. I told them there was no way that could ever be acceptable and a supervisor said that since my original purchase was discounted the most they could do was the tax which was about $90. The bass in Olympic White appears to be sold out everywhere else that I can find that would be able to match the original price I paid or I’d send it back and just get a new one. GC has updated their return policy to 180 days so I guess if they come back in stock I could exchange it eventually but idk. I’ll probably end up living with it just to not have to wait and be able to start modding it just bummed I don’t feel I have a choice.

User Info Menu

Wow... that's not good, all the way around.
    It may take a while to get a response, but contact SBMM Customer service. Send them the info posted here and ask them about availability of a replacement. I've had a few SBMM instruments over the years and I will say their CS has always been top notch.
    Dealing with GC has always been a gamble... I've had very good service from a few, and not so good from a lot of them...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Your GC purchase date is the start of your warranty period. If the bass is brand new, like he said above, contact cust. service. If they received it that way. New in box, that's a warranty issue.

Don't answer this here...was the bass wrapped in plastic with tags attached from EBMM, not a GC tag. Did you get all case goodies in a sealed envelope? There would be indicators if GC had opened it and done anything.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    Your GC purchase date is the start of your warranty period. If the bass is brand new, like he said above, contact cust. service. If they received it that way. New in box, that's a warranty issue.

Don't answer this here...was the bass wrapped in plastic with tags attached from EBMM, not a GC tag. Did you get all case goodies in a sealed envelope? There would be indicators if GC had opened it and done anything.

Brash

Why would it have tags from EBMM, op said bass is SBMM. Someone ruined that neck though. Sad!

User Info Menu

Just looked at photos properly. Are you sure that’s a brand new, brand spanking new bass ???

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

It’s supposed to be! Super bummed cause I already picked up a carbon fiber control panel and black hipshot for it but hesitating to put them on until I see if I can find one for the same price I paid that isn’t sold out or at least until SBMM gets back to me to see if they offer any help sooner than Guitar Center can. If they weren’t so badly back ordered I’m sure it’d be as easy as G.C. sending me a new one. Interested to see how they handle it. Anyone ever open one of these up to see what kinda pots/wiring are in them?

User Info Menu

I can’t honestly see it leaving the factory like that. It’s definitely something you need to take up with the shop you got it from and go from there.
    Maybe get them to order you another and you hang onto to the one you have now until the replacement arrives would be the kind of deal I’d be looking to get. Or....... if you can live with it looking like that getting some cash back on it

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

If this guitar was purchased NEW from guitar center, they should be your primary point of contact. Why is the guitar not already being returned to them? Was it purchased as a blemish or discounted guitar?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Why would it have tags from EBMM, op said bass is SBMM. Someone ruined that neck though. Sad!
    Oops. I saw the EBMM/SBMM part and missed the following SBMM. For this, I would have to say GC issue.

I would return it. I checked on various websites. Zzounds says coming soon and WoodwindBrasswind says shippjng August 20. I would say GC manager is full of it and I'd go with Zzounds or WoodwindBrasswind. Both have been very reliable for me. I usually use zzounds since they are an internet source and nobody is touching your bass before you do.

Brash

Last edited by brash47; 08-03-2020 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brash47 View Post
    Oops. I saw the EBMM/SBMM part and missed the following SBMM. For this, I would have to say GC issue.

I would return it. I checked on various websites. Zzounds says coming soon and WoodwindBrasswind says shippjng August 20. I would say GC manager is full of it and I'd go with Zzounds or WoodwindBrasswind. Both have been very reliable for me. I usually use zzounds since they are an internet source and nobody is touching your bass before you do.

Brash

FWIW, Woodwind & Brasswind is one of Guitar Center's subsidiaries.

2018 Bongo 5 HH Barolo
    2016 Caprice Heritage Tobacco
    2007 Sterling 4 HS Dargie Delight
    2013 Sterling 4 HH Sapphire Black
    2014 Sterling 5 HH Vintage Sunburst
    2019 Stingray Short Scale Ultra Marine Blue

2016 Cutlass SSS Ivory White
    2011 Silhouette HSH Candy Apple Red
    2011 Silhouette HSH Vintage Sunburst
    2016 Valentine Trans Buttermilk

User Info Menu

fwiw, the reason I suggested contacting SBMM CS is because I got a smoking deal on a new SBMM Albert Lee awhile back. Unfortunately, it had a neck problem (truss rod issue...).
    I contacted SBMM CS about it and they shipped a replacement neck directly to me, no questions asked.
    If the OP could be lucky enough for them to provide the same service for him, it would be the fastest resolution.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    fwiw, the reason I suggested contacting SBMM CS is because I got a smoking deal on a new SBMM Albert Lee awhile back. Unfortunately, it had a neck problem (truss rod issue...).
    I contacted SBMM CS about it and they shipped a replacement neck directly to me, no questions asked.
    If the OP could be lucky enough for them to provide the same service for him, it would be the fastest resolution.
    Omg this would be my ideal solution. I hope something like this is possible for me because other than the sanding removing a chunk of wood from the neck it plays great. Fingers crossed. If they take care of me I will more than likely order a second one with a maple neck so that I’d have both neck options. Idk how I feel about the blue tho. If end up with both necks I’ll probably refinish the blue body something more my style haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AjCalderon View Post
    Omg this would be my ideal solution. I hope something like this is possible for me because other than the sanding removing a chunk of wood from the neck it plays great. Fingers crossed. If they take care of me I will more than likely order a second one with a maple neck so that I’d have both neck options. Idk how I feel about the blue tho. If end up with both necks I’ll probably refinish the blue body something more my style haha.
    Have you contacted Guitar Center yet? I'm trying to figure out why you haven't already sent it back. If that happened to the headstock, who knows what else happened to it.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck