Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll

5 100.00%

0 0%

Thread: B String Gauge Preference

User Info Menu

B String Gauge Preference

Iím pretty new to the 5 string. Very new

Iím just seeing what gauge of B you prefer. Iíve just changed the 130 that it came with for a 135 (as thatís what I use on BEAD) and Iím not sure that I like it or not ?
    So whatís your preference?

Is the rule of thumb go a gauge lighter on a 5 string than you would on a 4 string ?

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ĒSunBlueĒ. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    I’m pretty new to the 5 string. Very new

I’m just seeing what gauge of B you prefer. I’ve just changed the 130 that it came with for a 135 (as that’s what I use on BEAD) and I’m not sure that I like it or not ?
    So what’s your preference?

Is the rule of thumb go a gauge lighter on a 5 string than you would on a 4 string ?
    I honestly can’t make up my mind. For my SR5 I like the .130 from the green pack, but I’ve tried .125, .130, and .135 from many different manufacturers on my Bongo 5HH and I honestly don’t love any of them. Still searching. Guess I’ll choose .130 overall because I do like it on one bass and they’re certainly easy to get in a pinch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
    I honestly can’t make up my mind. For my SR5 I like the .130 from the green pack, but I’ve tried .125, .130, and .135 from many different manufacturers on my Bongo 5HH and I honestly don’t love any of them. Still searching. Guess I’ll choose .130 overall because I do like it on one bass and they’re certainly easy to get in a pinch.
    I’ve just put the original set it came with back on. The Coated that I put on a couple of weeks ago the finger noise was getting worse not better so binned them and put the next set I’d got lined up on and really didn’t like them..
    BEA were only a .5 up and the difference was massive.
    They are my favourite stings, on a Four anyways... just sounded muddy on the Bongo.
    Oh well got a NOS BEAD set spare. waste of fifty notes

User Info Menu

I've been using a .125... but I have light gauges all around!

User Info Menu

I use 120 on one and 130 on another. 130 is in the standard set shipped on new basses from the factory.

User Info Menu

I have 125-40 pink pack Slinkies on my ceramic SR5 and prefer these, on that bass to any other string set I've used on it - I prefer the sound across fingerstyle and slap/pop.

I have Cobalt rounds on my Bongo 5 (from when they were first released for 5 string) - they are still fine (130-45 IIRC).

My Stingray Special 5HH still has the factory strings (presume 130, 100, 80, 65, 45) and my US Sub 5 still has the strings it came with (presumed EB green pack).
    Last edited by drTStingray; 08-25-2020 at 05:09 PM.
    2018 SR5HHS Cruz Teal - roasted/ebony
    2018 SR4HHS Aqua sparkle - roasted/ebony
    2016 SR4H 40th Anni Old Smoothie - Chocolate burst - maple
    2014 Neptune Blue Classic Sabre - roasted/maple, mahogany body
    2010 SR4 classic coral red/birdseye/maple with Flatwounds
    2008 Bongo 5HHp lava pearl/RW
    2007 SR4HH Blue Dawn LE/RW
    2003 SR5H Natural/maple
    2003 SR4H Natural/RW
    2003 US Sub 5H White/RW
    1993 SR4 Fretless Sunburst - birdseye maple/Pau Ferro
    1993 SR4 blueburst - flamed maple/maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohbugger View Post
    I've been using a .125... but I have light gauges all around!
    Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    I use 120 on one and 130 on another. 130 is in the standard set shipped on new basses from the factory.
    Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    I have 125-40 pink pack Slinkies on my ceramic SR5 and prefer these, on that bass to any other string set I've used on it - I prefer the sound across fingerstyle and slap/pop.

I have Cobalt rounds on my Bongo 5 (from when they were first released for 5 string) - they are still fine (130-45 IIRC).

My Stingray Special 5HH still has the factory strings (presume 130, 100, 80, 65, 45) and my US Sub 5 still has the strings it came with (presumed EB green pack).
    I’d never of considered anything lower than a 130 having only had a low B on a four string in the past. The narrower string spacing on a five crates the illusion that the string are thicker than they are. It’s understandable me freaking out then !

B. 130 max.
    Consider going lighter in the future.
    Thanks for the help

User Info Menu

I’ve now got it set up perfectly to my taste. Sanity is restored once again.
    Expensive experience or what !

I’ve got a set of heavy coated steels that are good as new, fitted to a bongo for all of 10mins. If they are of any use to anyone PM me for more details and we can sort something out