Strap Blocks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Special Release In Oct

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by five7 View Post
    Danny, you could always paint it blue.
    Providing you can pick one up at a good price on account of condition
    I’m Now in process of starting the “distressed finish” it should be ready in about 20ish years

Quote Originally Posted by Edmang View Post
    I never understood the idea of a reliced bass. Also don't understand why anyone would want to buy jeans that are sold with pre-cut holes. Not my thing for sure.

Obviously some people do want that otherwise they would not be available for sale.
    When best jeans get holes in them I demote them to work jeans, eventually work shorts.
    The concept of artificially aging a new object is totally lost on me. (Unless you’re an antique dealer trying to forge something maybe lol)
    Last edited by danny-79; 10-04-2020 at 12:18 PM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Two band EQ, maple neck, four strings. What's not to like?

OK, I am not a fan of "relics" either, but the instrument under the worn paint is tempting!
    SBMM Silhouette HSS
    You can tune a bass but you can't tuna fish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post

Personally I’d hope this bass is a knock for knock recreation of the original aimed at a hardcore fan.
    That's what would interest me, a highly limited virtually identical issue/tribute for the bass player in one of the greatest hard rock bands ever.

<---- huge, huge, huge AC/DC fan (and as big a Dream Theater fan as I am, I believe I may have seen AC/DC in concert even more times than I have DT). I'm stoked for the new album and hopeful they do another tour.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Once again EBMM recognition to greatest bass ever, PRE EB: chunky, heavy.....but what a tone....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Well, it has to be probably the most well known Stingray on the Planet, whether people or know it or not.
    Well said !

Never heard the name. Never heard most names. Pay only slightest attention to non local players. Keeps me happy.

The signatures on a few of my headstocks are not those of celebrity players. They are the signatures of whoever built the basses, not of whoever played the the paint right off it.
    Last edited by Golem; 10-05-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    whoever played the the paint right off it.
    I like the wording of that !
    Who ever played the paint off it !

My new bass. My job to play the paint off it.

Nothing against used basses most of mine are/were when I got them. That condition is also reflected in the price I paid 2-3x cheaper than new price

User Info Menu

It was hard to sell my stealth bongo that I wore the paint off of. People seem to only like certain distressed models.

User Info Menu

It was hard to sell my stealth bongo that I wore the paint off of. People seem to only like certain distressed models.
    You don't have a Sharpie?

User Info Menu

yes and nail polish

User Info Menu

Looks like Matt's Guitar Shop has one of the original basses Cliff played, apparently number 3, out of 5 total. They also have number 4, but it isn't pictured.

Music Man StingRay 1976 Cliff Williams

I wonder which number this bass was based off of.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

That’s totally different though it’s your history.
    You never know it might find it’s way back again for a third time

User Info Menu

Honestly, Cliff's playing is what got me playing bass. While my horizons have expanded beyond that of AC/DC, I found and stuck with the Stingray sound. I bought a 2010 SR Classic in Retro Burst because it was the closest I could get to that Stingray. The obsession part of me needs to know if and what differences there are between the Classics and the CW signature model, aesthetics aside.

As a side note, after getting one of the SR 4HH Specials from the Vault this summer, it made me appreciate the Classic's sound even more. The Classic and the Special each give a very specific range of sounds and I'm thrilled to have them both at my fingertips. My classic turns 10 years old in 10 days and still sounds amazing

Oh, I think there will be additions to the collection this year!
    Last edited by Thunder139; 10-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    2010 'Retro Burst' Classic SR4
    2020 Stingray Special SLO Special 4HH Orange Sparkle

User Info Menu

Got some REAL relics ... basses with visible evidence that schidt happinz.

One is a wonderful Sterling Hp FL4. The schidt that happent is a horrid refin.

Another is a violated ‘88 SR4 with maple FB. Body paint is “properly” wearing off, but defret neck looks nearly new ... if you ignore the black filler where the frets “fell off” :-)

Then there’s my wonderful trans orange SR Hp FL5 with regions of the finish held on by Super Glue. For lack of a primer layer, trans finishes are vulnerable to finish adhesion problems resulting from minor traumas. Still looks okay from 5 ft away.

Got a Boingo Hp4 looking a bit weirder than other Boingos due to an ergonomic improvement.

Real authentic loss of newness is no simple matter of dragging an ax thru the outback behind an ATV. Thaz really just sooooo toadally bogus !!!
    Last edited by Golem; 10-12-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Music Man Basses: Carbon Blue Pearl HH Bongo 4 - 20th Anniversary H SR5 - Trans Teal H SR4 - Vintage Sunburst Hp Fretless SR4 - Vintage Gold HSS Reflex 5 - Ivory White Caprice - BFR Redwood HH SR4 - Pacific Blue Burst HS Sterling 4 - Raspberry Pearl Short Scale StingRay
    Music Man Guitars: White Sparkle Piezo JP 6 - Vintage Sunburst HH Luke III - Trans Black Reflex - Coral Red SSS Cutlass RS

User Info Menu

I personally think that this is the coolest bass ever, though I dont think I will ever be able to afford one. This is not just a relic job, it's a full recreation of Cliffs #1 bass. Look at that non matching string ferrule, look at the neck wear (moslty bottom edge!) or any of the other little details, just wonderful
    Also, all proceeds going to the Alzheimer Association is an amazing thing.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.