New banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?

User Info Menu

Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?

So I'm looking for a fretless Stingray and got offered this bass. It looks amazing, serial checks out as a 1987 white 'Ray, but I'm hesitating. The unlined fretless fingerboard has markers, but only on the upper register (12th fret and up). I've never seen that before. Do you guys know if this fingerboard might be non-original?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?-91cbd885-da8f-4dfb-bc74-101040bc6963-png-ae3d7e2cc80b69eddd41b1d12a846808-jpg   Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?-b2418d31-7b38-473b-8a9f-bc3eda9cf7fd-png-207bc4f6365d0f769043c4969763b96a-jpg  

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Enter the serial number of your Bass in the link below. It should give a description of the instrument it relates to.

Serial Number Search Tool

User Info Menu

Thanks!

I have done that already, but it doesn't say if it's a fretless or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HiddeR View Post
    Thanks!

I suppose the only thing you can do now is check if the neck is an original MM neck, period correct, and that the neck date close to the body date.

Do you have larger pics?
    Last edited by Rod Trussbroken; 09-24-2020 at 01:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I guess I have to rephrase my question: I do not doubt the neck, I only doubt the fingerboard. I don't know if it has been replaced or not, because of the inlays.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HiddeR View Post
    If it's not specified as a fretless by the serial checker, that means it was originally built as a fretted. Also, I've never seen a fretless Stingray with those partial markings, so my money is on a replacement board.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pineweasel View Post
    If it's not specified as a fretless by the serial checker, that means it was originally built as a fretted. Also, I've never seen a fretless Stingray with those partial markings, so my money is on a replacement board.
    Alright, that's good to know. In that case it's quite a bit too expensive

User Info Menu

So the seller is claiming the fretboard is original and the markers were added by a previous owner. Is that possible, with a serial that doesn't indicate a fretless?

User Info Menu

All of the fretless ones I have owned, had dots normal like a fretted neck. Something is odd.

User Info Menu

I would contact customer service. A 1987 bass is from quite a long time ago, and they may not have kept records of whether the guitar was a fretless or not.

That fretboard DOES have the side markers, which you can see if you look closely.

Furthermore, it is far FAR more common and cheaper to just pull the frets and fill in the slots than it is to put on a whole new fretboard.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pineweasel View Post
    Not necessarily - I have a 93 fretless - I bought it used and the original owner was kind enough to include a pack containing his original purchase receipt - saying its fretless - when I bought it I checked in the old serial number thread - it came back as pae ferro unlined fretless and (original) sunburst (which it is).

When I put it into the SN checker it comes up as rosewood (not fretless).......

The date for the bass is out of step with the DOB of basses with serial numbers around it, so I suspect they may have changed the neck to match an order before shipping to the uk. The seller said he had to wait a long time after ordering it.

Anyway it's a brilliant bass with a crazily figured birds eye and quilt maple neck - the only thing non standard is a bone nut plus I had to replace the G tuner after the bass got dropped on the floor (by me) at a jazz gig and the tuner rattled and was slightly bent after....... crazy cats those jazzers you know - I think we may have been doing Under the Sea, or On the Street Where you Live or some other such crooner song (it fell off the strap with a bit of a crash)!!
    Last edited by drTStingray; 09-24-2020 at 03:36 PM.

User Info Menu

The side dots on this neck are where the fret markers are. It's the position they would be in on an unlined fretless. If the neck was originally fretted, that wouldn't be the case - they would be between the frets.

This is assuming that the side dots are original, of course. It's a bit hard to see on the pic but it looks like they sit on the line where the maple meets the rosewood which would be correct. It was only with the introduction of the 6-bolt necks in 1990 when they moved entirely within the rosewood.

Better pics of the entire neck would help.

I would also double-check with Customer Service. They are very helpful.

86 Sabre Nat
    87 TR
    87 Sun
    87 SR5 proto Peach
    88 Peach
    88 Sabre Peach
    88 Sabre Sun
    89 Blub
    89 SR5 Peach
    89 Sun
    89 SR5 TR
    90 Blub
    90 V Sun
    90 TR
    90 SR5 TR
    92 Sun
    92 V Sun
    94 Sterl Sun
    98 Sher G MHS
    00 SR5 Mtl Flake G MHS
    02 Gun Silv MHS
    03 SR5 Wh
    07 TR
    09 25th 5 HSS
    09 Class Surf G
    09 Class Fiesta Red MHS
    10 Class SR5 Blk x2
    16 Big Al 5 SSS Vint Tob PDN MHS
    17 Old Sm Choc B x2
    17 30th SR5 RW
    17 30th SR5 M
    18 SR5S Vint Tob
    18 SR5S Aqua Sp

User Info Menu

I've already contacted Customer Service, but haven't heard back from them yet. But you guys are very helpful So it seems like it's probably original (except for the side lines of course).
    Last edited by HiddeR; 09-25-2020 at 01:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Got some better pics. I must say: it looks killer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?-497feb76-55e9-4a7c-90cd-447c26199096-thumb-jpeg-d1b5a71ba2d1a421733071e6f262cac8-jpg   Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?-683faddd-a99a-4f06-a9ec-020a5c92f37b-thumb-jpeg-d7faf422b8d03ec4b99f1a744786b380-jpg   Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?-bd1508d1-b17b-4f5f-853d-3b7ee2fa53c2-thumb-jpeg-7dd9cd21d205d23dce095efd83f2065b-jpeg   Is this an original fingerboard on this '87 Stingray?-efe2ad52-11a9-4e6d-99f7-5dc8e122c36f-thumb-jpeg-0c42c26e35649e12410c013ff222559c-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    Not necessarily - I have a 93 fretless - I bought it used and the original owner was kind enough to include a pack containing his original purchase receipt - saying its fretless - when I bought it I checked in the old serial number thread - it came back as pae ferro unlined fretless and (original) sunburst (which it is).

When I put it into the SN checker it comes up as rosewood (not fretless).......
    Fair enough. I've only put a handful of serials into the checker and fretless ones always came back as fretless. But I can imagine the database isn't 100% consistent.