2020 StingRay Special colors

Thread: EBMM Short Scale is Brilliant

User Info Menu

Cool EBMM Short Scale is Brilliant

As a proud owner of a new EBMM Short Scale Stingray let me just say they knocked this one out of the park. I admit I was skeptical when they got rid of the Cutlass and Caprice. I wasn't sure how they were going to improve upon those wonderful basses. Let me tell you as a player with smaller hands I am truly loving this bass!

That roasted neck is just so smooth and the shaping is just perfect. Let me tell you that not all 1.5" nut width are created equal. Just the smoothness of the curve on that neck shape makes this bass such a joy to play. I feel a little bad for the people who got the first year model without the roasted neck because when I listen to demos I feel like the roasted neck model has a little more soul. It just sounds more broken in...which I dig but others may not.

The electronics are just spot on too. They seemed to match the volume between parallel and single coil...I can't even tell a difference. Series has that nice boost in volume. What's fascinating is that in all the modes their is this beautiful balance between the strings. There is this evenness in volume and tone. That balance only becomes upset(in a beautiful way) when you engage the volume/bass boost.

I mean what can I say...they've done it again! How many of us have been clamoring for years for a passive stingray...and we got it :-) Thanks again Big Poppa and every one at EBMM that made this bass a reality and especially to all the dedicated factory workers and engineers who work tirelessly to make these special instruments a reality.
    Last edited by GregP; 09-29-2020 at 08:04 PM.

User Info Menu

The Short Scale Stingray is so much fun to play.

User Info Menu

Not come across one in the wild to try but it’s definitely on my todo list !

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

We had two arrive this week, a Sunburst and a Starry Night - they are great!

Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

I loveeeeee mine so much. Got the Starry Night with the rosewood fretboard but struggled between it and the vintage sunburst with the all maple neck. I couldn’t justify two new 2k+ Basses at the moment but if next year they offer another all maple neck in a color I’m into I’m not going to be able to resist. I’m hoping they do a stealth model ��

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AjCalderon View Post
    I loveeeeee mine so much. Got the Starry Night with the rosewood fretboard but struggled between it and the vintage sunburst with the all maple neck. I couldn’t justify two new 2k+ Basses at the moment but if next year they offer another all maple neck in a color I’m into I’m not going to be able to resist. I’m hoping they do a stealth model ��
    I'm so glad you love yours too. The highs definitely sound sweeter than on a 34" scale bass, imho. Surprisingly, the low end isn't lacking at all... if anything it seems to fill out a little better with a reduced scale length. The notes seem to have more of a "bloom" to them. It seems like I can hear more of the note if that makes any sense. The instrument also seems to be more sensitive to right hand placement as well. I can get some incredibly tubby tones playing on the neck itself. I've heard there are only 300 available this year and it's a limited run instrument. I really hope they bring it into their stable as a standard model.

P.S. I think I read somewhere on the forums that this project was Big Poppa's baby. I'd love to know why he opted to go with a passive set up as he often praises the benefits of an active circuit. Thanks for giving us passive guys love, Big Poppa :-)

User Info Menu

I also got the Starry Night last week awesome bass!

User Info Menu

well everything at Music Man is a team....but this so happens to be the last instrument that had Dudley Gimpel and Me as principal designers....I couldnt be prouder of this bass. It's icing on Dudley and my design partnership

We sort of did this in the background and we played around with a lot of things the electronics package is so versitile....

Dont tell anyone....(other than the few that got to but the 34" scale with the passive short scale electronics package. The 34' inch scale may see the light of day...its very good too....(but I am biased)

Thank all of you for the kind words.....it's kind of bittersweet with Dudley retired. Happy for him but for many years it was just he and I.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Hi BP,
    This is Huge - Dudley Retired!!!
    Was there an announcement in the forum any where that I might have missed?
    I remember in 2007 meeting Dudley at the Ernie Ball open house a really modest guy.
    Good luck with retirement Dudley.

Cheers

Scott

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    well everything at Music Man is a team....but this so happens to be the last instrument that had Dudley Gimpel and Me as principal designers....I couldnt be prouder of this bass. It's icing on Dudley and my design partnership

We sort of did this in the background and we played around with a lot of things the electronics package is so versitile....

Dont tell anyone....(other than the few that got to but the 34" scale with the passive short scale electronics package. The 34' inch scale may see the light of day...its very good too....(but I am biased)

Thank all of you for the kind words.....it's kind of bittersweet with Dudley retired. Happy for him but for many years it was just he and I.
    Well thank you for designing such an amazing instrument! I love my Starry Night and actually just got done swapping the hardware on it to all black hardware. Had to wait on a custom black control panel to be made for me but it was sooooo worth the wait! It looks AMAZING.

I’m hoping you guys do an ebony option instead of rosewood next year to keep them all unique even if it’ll put me in the dilemma of needing both and being unable to decide again next year.

It was really hard for me to not also grab the vintage sunburst. If the colors for next year don’t speak to me you’ll catch me hunting down a vintage sunburst from someone lol.

+1 for the roasted maple to end up flamed next year
    Last edited by AjCalderon; 11-05-2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: +1 for flame maple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottbass71 View Post
    Hi BP,
    This is Huge - Dudley Retired!!!
    Was there an announcement in the forum any where that I might have missed?
    I remember in 2007 meeting Dudley at the Ernie Ball open house a really modest guy.
    Good luck with retirement Dudley.

Cheers

Scott
    It was announced on instagram: Login • Instagram

There was a thread back in May:

The Legend Mr Dudley Gimpel
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AjCalderon View Post
    Well thank you for designing such an amazing instrument! I love my Starry Night and actually just got done swapping the hardware on it to all black hardware. Had to wait on a custom black control panel to be made for me but it was sooooo worth the wait! It looks AMAZING.

I’m hoping you guys do an ebony option instead of rosewood next year to keep them all unique even if it’ll put me in the dilemma of needing both and being unable to decide again next year.

It was really hard for me to not also grab the vintage sunburst. If the colors for next year don’t speak to me you’ll catch me hunting down a vintage sunburst from someone lol.

+1 for the roasted maple to end up flamed next year
    I think Ebony would be an amazing option for next year. I opted for the sunburst because well I love the finish but mostly for that roasted maple board. It just has more punch than the rosewood imho. The rosewood is awesome too I just prefer the maple. But Ebony and perhaps even Ebony fretless? #Amazing