Flat Ribbon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collect or be curious?

User Info Menu

What is the best way to weigh a bass prior to listing it for sale?
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1
    Cutlass 4 M&M green with black headstock

User Info Menu

I use a scale.

Of course, you've seen the scene with the witch from The Holy Grail? I suppose that's an option, especially if you have a duck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    I use a scale.

Of course, you've seen the scene with the witch from The Holy Grail? I suppose that's an option, especially if you have a duck.
    Do you take it to Fed Ex or the post office or something, or just use what you've got at home... I don't think I'll be able to say more than "looks like 10 lbs on the bathroom scale" otherwise. Or is it time to invest in something more precise?

I bet scales are super cheap now that everyone weighs their meals... and pot is legal...
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    Do you take it to Fed Ex or the post office or something, or just use what you've got at home... I don't think I'll be able to say more than "looks like 10 lbs on the bathroom scale" otherwise. Or is it time to invest in something more precise?

I bet scales are super cheap now that everyone weighs their meals... and pot is legal...
    Suite case/luggage scales are a cheap option to weigh the finished package with.

Bathroom scales lye. It will cost you a fortune using them

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Is this strictly for getting the bass’ weight, or is it for shipping costs? Figure in dimensional weight if it’s the latter.
    “Don’t play it if you don’t feel it.”

James Jamerson

Serve the song, not your ego.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShamusOnBass63 View Post
    Is this strictly for getting the bass’ weight, or is it for shipping costs? Figure in dimensional weight if it’s the latter.
    Bass weight. It is such a popular question that I know I must weight a bass before I try to sell it.

I did see they have kitchen scales up to 5000 grams (11 lbs.) for less than $20. So I'll probably go that route.
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1

User Info Menu

Bass weight. It is such a popular question that I know I must weight a bass before I try to sell it.

I did see they have kitchen scales up to 5000 grams (11 lbs.) for less than $20. So I'll probably go that route.
    Yep, can never seem to dodge that question. I like mine heavy, usually around 12#. It just feels right to me.
    “Don’t play it if you don’t feel it.”

James Jamerson

Serve the song, not your ego.

User Info Menu

What is the best way to weigh a bass prior to listing it for sale?
    I weigh myself on the bathroom scale, then pick up the bass and do it again. Good thing I'm not selling anything these days, because I haven't stepped on the scale since March. I'm guessing I've gained the equivalent of a Stingray Special during quarantine.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I weigh myself on the bathroom scale, then pick up the bass and do it again. Good thing I'm not selling anything these days, because I haven't stepped on the scale since March. I'm guessing I've gained the equivalent of a Stingray Special during quarantine.
    most of my clothes have all shrunk during the year of the sweat pants lol

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

How long do you go without playing a bass before you think, probably time to let this one go?
    I am a song writer with a home studio, which complicates this issue considerably.
    I record a few songs a year. But I keep basses around which I haven't used in years because I got them thinking "I need that tone for a certain song" and I tell myself I'll write another song where I'll use a given bass, but I may not get to it for a few years.

I counted yesterday. I have a dozen basses.
    I did sell two since August this year, but have bought four. It has been a time of transition and upgrading. I sold some pretty nice ones, and bought some really fancy ones, including two EBMM Bongos.

I am transitioning a little bit into being a collector. Something I told myself I don't want to do. But I got a couple from another company that I won't name just because they did some limited runs in some stunning colors. And I got the satin honeyburst Sept 2020 BFR Bongo just because it looks stunning and they're only making 60.

I guess mine are all being played and recorded (just not as much as I'd like), which is why I hang on to them.
    Last edited by wannarock8; 10-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Haven't heard from the ultimate collector for awhile, Musicman Nut.

User Info Menu

I don't buy lots of basses so I get attached. The last two I purchased are the 95 and 09 listed in my sig. They are not going anywhere.
    '95 Stingray 5H- Black/Black/Rose Wood
    '09 Sterling 5H - Egyptian Smoke/Black Pearloid/Maple