2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collect or be curious?

User Info Menu

Collect or be curious?

I know that some collect and I know everyone loves to play... some more of one or both than others...

How long do you go without playing a bass before you think, probably time to let this one go?

I have a couple basses--awesome basses--but I just don't play them; does that make me selfish? is not playing them a sign?

What do you do?
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1
    Cutlass 4 M&M green with black headstock

User Info Menu

I like to only keep what I'm using, so I usually sell what I feel I don't need or I don't use.

Last two basses I sold were barely used for maybe around 6 months until I decided "yup, don't wanna just keep them in their cases, better let them go".

I downsized to 2 basses, and I'm totally fine with it because they get used heavily.

User Info Menu

When considering letting go of a piece of gear, I ask myself 2 questions...
    Will I really miss it??
    If I do end up really missing it, could I replace it?

The trick is to be honest with yourself.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Down to 2 basses right now, having sold off the other 2 that weren’t seeing as much play time. Used to keep a bunch around because I couldn’t control my GAS; I’m over that now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    When considering letting go of a piece of gear, I ask myself 2 questions...
    Will I really miss it??
    If I do end up really missing it, could I replace it?

The trick is to be honest with yourself.
    I find this curious, which does not mean I disagree.

In my case it took 18 months to get my SR DD1, not many were posted, and usually for more than I was prepared to pay. It was my first EBMM, not too long after I got my Bongo 5H... I always prefer the Bongo. I've grabbed the SR5 maybe 3 times in the last year... It's not hard to find SR5s, but who knows how hard it will be to find the Martini glass inlays in the coming years? Is a bass irreplaceable because of its sound, its look, the whole package... I don't know how to be honest about this part.

The M&M bass is one of a kind, and I love the way it looks, but I rarely choose the string. The 4 strings I like are my upright and my acoustic...

I don't know, I think its the right question, but I am stuck on what answering it actually looks like.

Just about everyone I know has a "the one that got away" story, so far it feels like my only version of that story is the one's that were $100 too much for my bank account.
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShamusOnBass63 View Post
    Down to 2 basses right now, having sold off the other 2 that weren’t seeing as much play time. Used to keep a bunch around because I couldn’t control my GAS; I’m over that now.
    What 2 did you decide on?
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    What 2 did you decide on?
    Just purchased a new Ray 34PB, and I also have a 50’s-style P. Both have a place in my rotation, depending on what style of music I’m playing, and both are equally-fun to play!
    Last edited by ShamusOnBass63; 10-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

You only need one pair of socks at a time but Iíve still got a draw full of them !

I generally donít sell basses once Iíve brought them. (Unless I donít bond with it quickly cause couldnít try that exact bass at point of sale) Donít see the point of buying selling unless itís to seriously upgrade. It might of fallen out of favour today but tomorrow will be different and full of regret. I get quite attached to them. There is a pecking order but that also changes day by day!
    Do I really need the cash that bad ?
    Do I need the space itís taking up ?

A good mate of mine, you never see him with the same guitar twice. Itís almost like heís got them up for sale before heís even got them home from the shop. I donít get it but what ever works for you

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ĒSunBlueĒ. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I rarely play my Sterling fretless, but I would never think of selling it. I just don't play fretless much. That said, it's an amazing bass and worth more to me than the $800-900 I could sell it for.

After almost 20 years of buying and selling, I have finally gotten to the point where all six basses I own are keepers. Different body shapes, pickup combinations, preamps, fretboard and body woods, etc. In the past, when I decided to sell a bass, it was never a spur-of-the-moment decision, but I always knew the pecking order and which one was next on the chopping block. Now I couldn't even rank them, because it changes week to week. That's how I know I'm done. The (in)ability to replace also factors in.
    Last edited by muggsy; 10-14-2020 at 02:40 PM.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

It's not that it isn't working, but I just realize I have basses I don't really touch. I'm not a professional musician or anything, but I'm feeling more like a collector these days IDK.
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Laven View Post
    It's not that it isn't working, but I just realize I have basses I don't really touch. I'm not a professional musician or anything, but I'm feeling more like a collector these days IDK.
    Trust me, I'm as far from a professional as you can get. But I gig (very) occasionally and I wouldn't hesitate to play any of the basses I own on a stage. I think of collecting like Nigel Tufnel: "that one can't be played, ever."

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

I look at it this way. I don’t play golf, I don’t gamble, cars are just to get me to the grocery store and back and don’t define me in any way, and I like bass guitars. I’m sure I have more than my fair share of basses but so what?
    A few years back, I was part of a ravenous horde of gear-whores. I bought and sold and traded like the proverbial whirling dervish. As time went by, I acquired basses that were….singular. The herd of singular basses grew. I really couldn’t sell or trade them.

This is pretty much where I am now, cursed with 12 or 13 fabulous one-of-a-kind instruments that are, to me, priceless. And so most of the wheeling and dealing came to an end.

Every now and then, something comes up and I still enjoy the rush of the new. Some of you have benefitted from my latent gear-whore tendencies. Wim got the Cutlass bass that I so coveted because I really don’t play four string basses. Good for him, I say. Killer bass. Good guy. Why not pass it on?

Keep your basses if they make you happy. Don’t get wrapped up with numbers or “collections” or any of that. If picking those basses up now and then makes you smile, why not?

User Info Menu

I play, collect, sell, trade. If I take a fancy to a bass, I grab one...if I don't really love it, it goes out the door. Currently I have all EBMM and one Ibanez.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This thread has got me swapping basses around if nothing else.
    I’ve only played my Bongos since July so just putting SunBlue back in rotation (would never sell that one anyways) and HH is back out of its box. (Can’t really sell that one either )

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ĒSunBlueĒ. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bovinehost View Post
    I look at it this way. ...

If picking those basses up now and then makes you smile, why not?
    You're a wise man.

I think the smile assessment puts me into the right frame of mind.

It's crazy how beautiful the M&M is, and how much I just wish it had 5 strings, which sounds like your experience.
    SR5H DD1
    Bongo 5H DD1