2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: next 4 string

User Info Menu

next 4 string

ive recently been on an obsessive search for a sabre bass to cover my 4 string needs, but im starting to thinkthat i should just get a sterling instead. anyone have some insight on if i should keep looking or if a HH sterling would be just fine?

User Info Menu

Marc... Sterling 4HH will do anything you need it to and do it well. There is a nice one now in the vault that is black with a flamed neck with herringbone stripe. Having seen your Basses I don’t know if black is a bright enough color for you. JOSH
    BONGO 5HH BFR
    STINGRAY SPECIAL 5HH
    Former owner of...
    BONGO - 4HH (Rolls Burgandy), 4Hp ("Small EQ"/Medallion Gold), 4H (Ice Blue), 5HSp (White), 4H (Black Sugar), 4H (PDN Honey Burst), 4H (PDN Tobacco Burst)
    STINGRAY - 4H (30TH), 4H (Dargie Delight), 4H (VSB/BFR RW Neck), 5H (08 LE), Classic 4H White w/ MHS
    STERLING - 4HH (Dargie Delight), 4H (Stealth), 4HS (Natural)
    25TH - 5HH (Venetian Red)
    BIG AL - 4SSS (Olive Gold)
    CAPRICE - 4 (Natural)

Discontinued Musicman Club on Facebook.

User Info Menu

Iím wondering if HH is your confirmed preference by experience, or perhaps youíve just adopted the historical default configuration of the Sabre bass ... dating back to the pre-EB times.

Reason for inquiring is that if you happen upon an available Sterling HS you may wanna look into it. Got a pair myself. They are relatively rare but do turn up. If you wind up with one, consider yourself lucky. Go bet its s/n on the Powerball !
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    I’m wondering if HH is your confirmed preference by experience, or perhaps you’ve just adopted the historical default configuration of the Sabre bass ... dating back to the pre-EB times.

Reason for inquiring is that if you happen upon an available Sterling HS you may wanna look into it. Got a pair myself. They are relatively rare but do turn up. If you wind up with one, consider yourself lucky. Go bet its s/n on the Powerball !
    Weird flex, but okay.

Yeah. I like HH. Wish I ordered my ray in an HH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmbassplayer View Post
    Marc... Sterling 4HH will do anything you need it to and do it well. There is a nice one now in the vault that is black with a flamed neck with herringbone stripe. Having seen your Basses I don’t know if black is a bright enough color for you. JOSH
    Im more and more leaning towards a sterling. I really like smaller bodies. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a sterling 5 over a ray 5. Buuut I gotta stay on focus for a 4 string. Otherwise I'll never own one.
    Tbh I'll probably go the sterling route for a 4 string unless something like a reflex appears soon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmbassplayer View Post
    Marc... Sterling 4HH will do anything you need it to and do it well. There is a nice one now in the vault that is black with a flamed neck with herringbone stripe. Having seen your Basses I donít know if black is a bright enough color for you. JOSH
    That one in the vault is not a 4HH, it's just a 4H.
    StingRay Special BFR Fretless Vintage Sierra Burst (2019)
    StingRay Special HH BFR Dargie Delight 3 (2019)
    StingRay Old Smoothie Butterscotch (2019)
    StingRay5 True Gold (2010)
    Bongo 6 Egyptian Smoke (2009)

User Info Menu

To be fair, especially to golem, I may order an Hs just to have a different combination. The 5 string is what I use for almost all recordings and for all live shows. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have an HH.

The more I give up on the sabre the less I want an HH. I'm even really liking a caprice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarcMurder View Post
    Im more and more leaning towards a sterling. I really like smaller bodies. Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a sterling 5 over a ray 5. Buuut I gotta stay on focus for a 4 string. Otherwise I'll never own one.
    Tbh I'll probably go the sterling route for a 4 string unless something like a reflex appears soon
    If you like smaller bodies you may very well dig the short scale stingray. Iím over the moon with mine. :-)

User Info Menu

I've been hearing and reading that these are sick!

User Info Menu

I am looking for a 4-string myself. I am holding out on the stingray special since I really prefer my sterling 5H over the my stingray 5H. Got my fingers crossed that the weight reduction and colors from the current stingray line up make it over to the sterling in 2021.
    '95 Stingray 5H- Black/Black/Rose Wood
    '09 Sterling 5H - Egyptian Smoke/Black Pearloid/Maple

User Info Menu

To be fair, especially to golem, I may order an Hs just to have a different combination. The 5 string is what I use for almost all recordings and for all live shows. So it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have an HH.

The more I give up on the sabre the less I want an HH. I'm even really liking a caprice
    As far as I know the HS option has been discontinued. You would have to get a used instrument for this.

I do really like the HS so agree that it is worth considering. My first Ray was an HS

User Info Menu

Correct. I thought maybe the boys would still be able to make one, but nope; can't even make a special order. I'm. Thinking I'd hold out for a while to see if anything cool comes along.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oof. For that price I'd rather go new. But I'd be going on 5 string number 4 and no 4 string.

User Info Menu

Oof. For that price I'd rather go new. But I'd be going on 5 string number 4 and no 4 string.
    Gonna be a while before that price drops. I sorted their 32 page used bass catalog for Most Recent First. That bass is in the middle of page 2 of 32 pages. A rather newish arrival.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.