Strap Blocks

Thread: Excessive fret buzz on B string

User Info Menu

Excessive fret buzz on B string

Hello everyone.
    I own a MM Stingray 5 from 2018 (a HH configuration) and I face since day one a problem of excessive fret buzz, especially the low B string.
    I already showed my bass to a luthier who corrected the fret work which wasn't that perfect in the first place.
    I set up my instrument myself. I've checked the neck relief, and it's ok. My action is:

G: around 2mm
    D: Also 2mm
    A: 2.25mm
    E (that's where it begins to buzz), I have to raise the string to 2.75 to get rid of most of buzz (but not completely)
    And the real problem, the B string: it's already at 3mm and it buzz like crazy on frets 3 to...well till the end of the neck but especially on fret 6, 7, 8, 9.
    The buzz actually happens when I let the string ring out. If I play really short notes, there is no buzz.

I really don't know what to do since, to me, the action is already high and it doesn't seem to go away even if I raise the B string higher.

Can you give me some advices?

User Info Menu

Could be the magnetic pull from the H pickup near the neck.
    Try to lower the pickup (don't overthighten the screws).
    We had an similar thread lately:
    BFR Fretbuzz Issues
    1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

I’ll second pickup height especially on a HH model. If took me a while to figure mine out.
    I was getting a buzz but only in certain spots. I’m guessing other forces are at play but lowering the neck pickup really helps

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

How are you playing the strings? I have found that some people tend to play the B string differently, and if you make it oscillate in a more up/down directly, you will get more buzz. In general, it is going to get more buzz than the other strings just due to the size. It also has a lot more surface area, so it's easier to pluck it really hard.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Ok, I first tried to lower the neck pickup but it didn't change anything. I even lowered it a lot and there's no buzz change on the bass.

I use a 45 - 130 string set.
    The thing is, I own another 5 string bass (not a MM stingray) and I can pluck the 5th string as hard as I want it doesn't produce any buzz at all.
    On the stingray, I'm now used to play (with my finger) the E and B string softer cause I know it will produce an horrible sound... That's really really sad.
    I can't even set the B string the height the FAQ recommand, it's already higher and it doesn't seem to stop even at higher height.

As I said before, I brought the bass to a guitar tech who made a complete fret leveling already and he told me 2 things:

- it seems that this bass cannot be played at low action
    - The buzz is probably a cause of the stainless steel frets.

I really don't know what to do cause since I now own another 5 string bass, there is a world of difference between the 2 (and the stingray is by far the most expensive...)

User Info Menu

Seems like twisted strings to me. Sometimes you can undo that but sometimes you hafta replace them.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.