Flat Ribbon Patch Cables

Thread: My new Bongo bass

User Info Menu

My new Bongo bass

Just acquired a new Bongo bass!

First impressions are that it is really comfortable and light to hold, a whole more cuddly than other basses I have tried - MMs and other brands.

I would describe the tone as modern prog rock/soul rather than woody/vintage. Probably not a retro choice, although perhaps it could be versatile in the right hands

I guess my criticisms are the price, although not much more than Sweetwater are charging in the US and the very limited colour choice - it was this or a revolting purple - it seems Bongos don't have a standard 'neutral' choice.

User Info Menu

Nothing neutral about the Bongo at all. Revolting colours come as standard

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Actually - I have a Bongo 5 HH in that metal flake purple and love the color. It was nice to also get ebony on the fret board. I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. It has a white pick guard that I think clashes - I have been looking for a different shade. Considering chrome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyDude View Post
    Actually - I have a Bongo 5 HH in that metal flake purple and love the color. It was nice to also get ebony on the fret board. I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. It has a white pick guard that I think clashes - I have been looking for a different shade. Considering chrome.
    Well it's a matter of personal preference. I am just saying if they had one standard neutral colour for the bongo like black or a subtle sunburst, they could go really wild with the other colour choices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    Just acquired a new Bongo bass!

First impressions are that it is really comfortable and light to hold, a whole more cuddly than other basses I have tried - MMs and other brands.

I would describe the tone as modern prog rock/soul rather than woody/vintage. Probably not a retro choice, although perhaps it could be versatile in the right hands

I guess my criticisms are the price, although not much more than Sweetwater are charging in the US and the very limited colour choice - it was this or a revolting purple - it seems Bongos don't have a standard 'neutral' choice.
    There’s nothing standard nor neutral about a Boingo !

My colors aren’t really wild, one gold, one black. But both are single PU with piezo bridge and no frets. Also no B-strings ... which seems a relatively rare choice in Boingoland these days.

At least the string count is still a players choice. I’ve got a coupla basses that are available ONLY as 5-strings. I just delete the B, and restring them diagonally (normal at the nut but shifted over to the bass side at the bridge).
    Last edited by Golem; 02-21-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    At least the string count is still a players choice. I’ve got a coupla basses that are available ONLY as 5-strings. I just delete the B, and restring them diagonally (normal at the nut but shifted over to the bass side at the bridge).
    Wow. That’s an interesting concept. I’ve only got one 5 string (a purple bongo funny enough). I could of brought the identical 4 string but decided I needed a 5 in the stable...... mildly regretting my decision but I’ll stick with it for now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    Wow. That’s an interesting concept. I’ve only got one 5 string (a purple bongo funny enough). I could of brought the identical 4 string but decided I needed a 5 in the stable...... mildly regretting my decision but I’ll stick with it for now
    Regret it not! :-)

Actually - now that I have been doing the 5 thing for a long time - a 4 string feels like a toy. The wider the neck the better. I don't use the lower notes on every song - but I do use them every set. Some songs can be played slightly differently. A classic rock example is "Sunshine of Your Love". Now I use the low D in the riff and every band loves it. And if someone wants to lower the key of a song - no worries! :-)

User Info Menu

Actually - now that I have been doing the 5 thing for a long time - a 4 string feels like a toy. The wider the neck the better. I don't use the lower notes on every song - but I do use them every set. Some songs can be played slightly differently. A classic rock example is "Sunshine of Your Love". Now I use the low D in the riff and every band loves it. And if someone wants to lower the key of a song - no worries! :-)
    Obviously I never use any lower notes cuz the B-string is deleted but I do agree that the more massive neck contributes to the tone, especially with FL.

So why not just leave the B-string in place as just a thumb rest ? Well I tried that simply cuz it seemed easy enough. I found it annoying and confusing enough that I removed it.

Just removing the B-string created a weird feeling of too much reach for my right hand fingers between the edge of the neck and the string set. So I shifted the string set closer by not using the G-string saddle anymore. YMMV.
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

No regrets
    I’m going to have to get a second fiver to make the first one legal is about the best option.
    It’s just the overall feel of it, it’s quite disorienting to start with but I’m getting better at going back and forth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Obviously I never use any lower notes cuz the B-string is deleted but I do agree that the more massive neck contributes to the tone, especially with FL.

So why not just leave the B-string in place as just a thumb rest ? Well I tried that simply cuz it seemed easy enough. I found it annoying and confusing enough that I removed it.

Just removing the B-string created a weird feeling of too much reach for my right hand fingers between the edge of the neck and the string set. So I shifted the string set closer by not using the G-string saddle anymore. YMMV.
    Just out of interest how many fivers have you got set up like this ?