JP 20th Anniversary

Thread: New Sabre Bass Quality Control Issue

User Info Menu

New Sabre Bass Quality Control Issue

I love my new Ernie Ball Sabre bass, but it has a very annoying quality control issue that should have been caught before it left the factory. The bridge saddles set screws appear to be defective in that they were manufactured too long and do not allow the saddles to be completely lowered. Result is that the bass cannot be set to low action. See attached photo.
    I wonder if this is something they will fix under warranty?

Thanks,
    Jay TNew Sabre Bass Quality Control Issue-d6a484d0-1bc8-4df9-8a50-a0baa45b6ead-jpg
    Last edited by Sirfishalot; 03-30-2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: additional information

User Info Menu

1979 StingRay natural maple

User Info Menu

I would contact EBMM to see if they have shorter grub screws. Other option is to shim the neck.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    shorter grub screws.
    This.
    Any decent hardware store should be able to help.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sirfishalot View Post
    I love my new Ernie Ball Sabre bass, but it has a very annoying quality control issue that should have been caught before it left the factory. The bridge saddles set screws appear to be defective in that they were manufactured too long and do not allow the saddles to be completely lowered. Result is that the bass cannot be set to low action. See attached photo.
    I wonder if this is something they will fix under warranty?

Thanks,
    Jay TNew Sabre Bass Quality Control Issue-d6a484d0-1bc8-4df9-8a50-a0baa45b6ead-jpg
    Hi Jay
    Have you checked the relief? Reason I ask is that with just a tad too much relief this will happen, and maybe it's all that it takes to fix your problem.
    bovinehost: Yes, I do agree with that, but if there's nothing wrong then there's nothing wrong.
    Beth: I would compare Bongo to Tommy Lee Jones. Bad a$$ and just hot in a weird way...
    cheezewiz: They should take their lace thongs off and play bass.

User Info Menu

I’d be looking towards a neck shim if the saddles are maxing out. Always handy to be able to make adjustments in both directions

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005.LE
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strummer View Post
    Hi Jay
    Have you checked the relief? Reason I ask is that with just a tad too much relief this will happen, and maybe it's all that it takes to fix your problem.
    Yes, had my tech adjust which improved it, but over long screws just won’t allow the saddle to lower any more.
    Customer service wants money for shims and new screws on a brand new bass. If they we’re still making these, I’d take back to the dealer for one that didn’t have what obviously is a defect.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    I’d be looking towards a neck shim if the saddles are maxing out. Always handy to be able to make adjustments in both directions
    That’s just it, the saddles are unable to be maxed out due to the length of screws.

Thanks

User Info Menu

That’s just it, the saddles are unable to be maxed out due to the length of screws.

Thanks
    The overall effect of a shim (at the back of the neck pocket on the body) is to place the strings closer to the fret board (or even sitting on the fret board). In turn you will then need to adjust the saddles up by turning the screws clockwise. The screws will have enough room to adjust the saddles either way, up or down, to the desired height..

User Info Menu

Thanks
    They look pretty maxed to me.
    Any more and the saddle it’s self will be sitting on the bridge.
    The grub screws run in from the bottom of the saddle and stop at the top at the lowest usable height. (They are designed that way purposely to do that) any lower and a shim in the back of the neck pocket is needed, at that point the action will be too low so you then start again by raising the saddle to the desired height

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005.LE
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/