9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 22.22%
  • No

7 77.78%

Thread: How the StingRay HH should have been

User Info Menu

How the StingRay HH should have been

Saw this thread on talkbass which I thought was quite interesting saying how the StingRay HH would be better if the neck pickup was moved closer to the bridge pickup, and I think it's a pretty good idea.

They said this would instantly solve two of the main issues people have with the HH:
    - pickup getting in the way of slapping/popping (especially now with the special having 22 frets)
    - neck pickup sounding muddy

How the StingRay HH should have been-custom_musicman-jpg

It would allow for sounds closer to P and J bass

The poll got 25% votes agreeing which is quite a lot considering how purist most bass players are :-)

Curious what ernieball forum members think of this?

Original thread: How the StingRay HH should have been | TalkBass.com
    Last edited by stingrayfan123; 07-05-2021 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Neck pickup soloed is my least favorite setting on the HH but the other three settings it provides are too good to change it.
    2001 SR5 Black/Black/Maple
    2004 SR4 Honeyburst/ Black/Maple
    2006 SR4HH Natural/Black/Rosewood
    2009 Big Al 4SSS Vintage Sunburst/Rosewood
    2012 PDN Honey Roasted Bongo 4HHp
    2018 Stingray Special 4HH Aqua Sparkle/Ebony

Noise Chapter EP
    MORE MUSIC

User Info Menu

I have several two pick up Musicman basses and whenever I use them, I rarely use the bridge pick up soloed. I play slap and am happy playing it on an HH Stingray, in fact more than happy to as with both Hs selected, you get a brilliant slap tone.

The neck pick up soloed along with the bridge soloed is possibly the least used selection by me but I’ve found it’s far from muddy and it’s really good for reggae. Also, with a tweak of the EQ (upping the mids, bass and treble at centre), I can get a decent Alembic type of sound as used by Stanley Clarke - particularly if playing aggressively.

I think the HH Stingray is great the way it is with 5 very useable and different tones. If you want a good impression of a P bass, the Classic Sabre with single coil (noiseless circuit) neck pick up does a very good version.

I would also doubt the results of a TB poll when people voting may well have never played such a bass, whilst others may have only done so in shops. An interesting graphic though.

Also it needs to be remembered the Precision has a somewhat different construction as well as pick up position - which affects the general sound of the bass as well - a Stingray has a certain sound even played acoustically.

So please, Musicman, keep the HH as it is!!

User Info Menu

As people have said in that thread, it's a solution looking for a problem. The HH is very versatile, and while I don't slap, there are plenty of Stingray HH users that do without issue.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    As people have said in that thread, it's a solution looking for a problem. The HH is very versatile, and while I don't slap, there are plenty of Stingray HH users that do without issue.
    I don't think it's a solution looking for a problem. I have seen plenty of complaints about both the tone of neck pickup and the slapping issue on this very forum, myself included.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stingrayfan123 View Post
    I don't think it's a solution looking for a problem. I have seen plenty of complaints about both the tone of neck pickup and the slapping issue on this very forum, myself included.
    I think the neck pick up (soloed) tone is largely dependent on playing style and EQ choice. The slap issue is down to personal preference but, as I’ve said before, I play slap/pop on these basses - it’s not a problem for me. It is true the single H Stingray leaves a lot more space to play that style, but there again the dual H gives a really nice pair of single coil sounds, whilst with both pick ups on, it gives a very full tone which can be scooped if desired - you lose all of those without the second H, and to an extent with the suggested ‘modification’, whilst gaining an approximation of a P sound.
    Last edited by drTStingray; 07-07-2021 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

If I want Single H I play the Single H.SR.
    For Jazz like tones I play my J bass.
    The range of tones I get from the HH (positions 2&4 for example) would be compromised for the sake of thumb space for on the rare occasion that I might want to slap.?
    I’ll say no. It’s a solution to a none existent problem
    Last edited by danny-79; 07-08-2021 at 02:26 AM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005.LE
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I prefer both HHs and refer to it as "delivering all four barrels".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    I prefer both HHs and refer to it as "delivering all four barrels".
    Do you not find it a bit boomy in position three?
    I’ve just put my BongoH away and the SRHH is out next so will do some exploring, Personally I like positions 2&4 (but it’s usually found in bridge mode tbh )

User Info Menu

Too bad the HS is gone :-(

(I gots mines !)
    EB SUB SL4 - SR4p FL [x3]
    Early EB SR4 defretted
    SR4HH FL [Moses neck]
    SL4p FL [x2] - SL4HS FL
    SL4HS FL [Moses neck]
    SR5HS alnico - SR5p FL [x2]
    Bongo4Hp FL [x2]

"Too many basses is never enuf"

Golem is NOT engaging in social networks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danny-79 View Post
    Do you not find it a bit boomy in position three?
    I’ve just put my BongoH away and the SRHH is out next so will do some exploring, Personally I like positions 2&4 (but it’s usually found in bridge mode tbh )
    I usually have the bass on centre detent or even marginally cut in position 3. I think the mid is important as it’s a scooped tone in position 3 so sometimes a little mid boost is helpful. Dependent on what you’re trying to achieve, I do similar with position 5 (neck pick up only) - you can get quite an Alembic sound to it (unless you want dub reggae, when boosting the bass is fun)! If you do all this on an HH Special, the combination of the neo pick ups and the more powerful EQ is very interesting (sounds great!!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drTStingray View Post
    I usually have the bass on centre detent or even marginally cut in position 3. I think the mid is important as it’s a scooped tone in position 3 so sometimes a little mid boost is helpful. Dependent on what you’re trying to achieve, I do similar with position 5 (neck pick up only) - you can get quite an Alembic sound to it (unless you want dub reggae, when boosting the bass is fun)! If you do all this on an HH Special, the combination of the neo pick ups and the more powerful EQ is very interesting (sounds great!!)
    I should really broaden my horizons lol ��
    But yes neck pickup with bass boosted on the fly, didn’t see that coming!

In all honesty my HH is possibly my least favourite out of all mine, I’ve just never really bonded with it 100%. But I’m also bound to it so we have to get along

User Info Menu

I’d agree just cause playing above a pickup sounds gnarly, if you’re someone who tries to play as close to the neck as possible, it sounds better to not have to play directly above the pickup

Edit wait no I just saw that image that looks way too funny to do
    Last edited by kevins; 08-12-2021 at 09:11 AM.