VPJr Tuner

Thread: Musicman stingray 5 neck relief/higher action

User Info Menu

Musicman stingray 5 neck relief/higher action

Hey folks.

I'm lucky enough to own a fantastic 97 SR5 with a maple neck and ceramic pickup. It's a beast.
    Now, I've toyed around with multiple string heights and truss rod adjustments and bridge settings. I was always looking for that sweet spot for my kinda playing (pop/rock and I like to dig in a bit)

Recently I loosened the truss a little more than I'd normally have it (about the thickness of my bank card when 1st and last fret depressed down) and holy cow!!! It is absolutely singing.

Even acoustically it's just got huge tone. My action is probably a bit higher than the majority of players I watch on this forum but my god I love it.

Anyone else tinkered with the higher than average side action.

Many thanks

User Info Menu

Higher Action definitely gets you better tone, IMHO. You lose less vibration from contact with other frets, and the strings can vibrate more freely. The EBMM factory action is a bit higher than other manufacturers, and I think its because it was chosen for tone, and not for having a really low "fast" action.

Heck there are some famous 80s shredders that use some pretty high action, so I don't see why "Low" equals "fast".
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Agree. A higher action will give you a better tone and more volume as the strings have more room to move/breath.
    I like my basses set up how I like them.
    I use the recommended settings as reference/start point then go from there cause really at the end of the day the only person who can set up your bass is you

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005.LE
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/