Joe Dart

Thread: Shipping box question

User Info Menu

Shipping box question

It's time for my Sterling HH to move to a new home and free up some funds for a new purchase. A while back, I sent my bass to EBMM to fix something I did; not a big deal but I wanted it done right. They shipped it back in a box that perfectly fits the EBMM case. No room for movement or additional padding. I'm planning to use this box, but I'm a little leery of shipping the Sterling in a box w/no padding. However, I'm thinking that if the guys at San Luis Obispo thought it would be fine, I should too. Any thoughts?
    2000 Sterling Trans Teal/Maple
    2004 Bongo 4HH/Black
    2006 Sterling HH Trans Teal/RW
    2009 Sterling by Music Man JP50

User Info Menu

I was pretty shocked when I received my recent Bongo that it was shipped from Germany to the UK in nothing more than a cardboard box around its hardcase with a bit of foam taped around the headstock.
    It was still pretty much in tune let alone damaged when I opened it up.
    That was a new one.
    I also brought a stingray back from America, used, no cardboard box. Also still in tune when inspected the other end.

Apparently you should slacken the strings off before shipping but no personal experience with this

I also had a bass shipped UK to Uk and the seller bonded the case in wooded braces, and expansion foam and foam rubber. Needed dynamite to get to the case underneath and two people to lift it of the van lol ��
    (He possibly slackened the strings off before shipping. Sure hadn’t ever played it. Fury frets and corroded battery’s with corroded battery box thrown in for free)
    Last edited by danny-79; 09-12-2021 at 12:30 PM.

StingRay 4HH. SapphireBlack.2006
    StingRay 4H. Buttercreme. 2005.LE
    StingRay 4H. ”SunBlue”. 2005
    Bongo 4H. Sapphire Black. 2005
    Bongo 5HH. Firemist Purple. 2019
    GENZ-BENZ & ORANGE amps...

https://www.facebook.com/DanSmithBassist/

User Info Menu

I have shipped many this way with the case fitting in the box. I usually pay for insurance also. Never had a problem.

User Info Menu

I have ordered several new basses from EBMM over the years, and every one arrived that way. In the hard case, in a shipping box, no additional padding. I have sold and shipped basses the same way, with no issues. If the bass fits snugly in the hard case, you're good. If it moves around, I'd put some extra padding inside the case.

1998 Sterling 4H honeyburst lined fretless
    2006 30th Anniversary Stingray
    2014 Bongo 4HSp neptune blue w/roasted maple neck
    2014 Big Al 4SSS inca silver w/full rosewood neck

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm feeling more confident using this box.
    2000 Sterling Trans Teal/Maple
    2004 Bongo 4HH/Black
    2006 Sterling HH Trans Teal/RW
    2009 Sterling by Music Man JP50

User Info Menu

Agreed, many of the instruments i've received were packed that way -- just a close-fitting box around the hard case, no additional padding. They all arrived fine.

Also, a few of my basses have gone to and from gigs by airplane (including that Dargie in my avatar), in just their hard cases with no outside box.
    Again, they arrived fine, though i feel i was pushing my luck there (more for the possibility of theft than from handling damage).
    93 SR 5 H fl trans teal
    90 SR 5 H fretted* trans red (orig. fl)
    07 SR 5 HH DD I
    07 SR 5 Hp fl black/w
    08 SR 4 HH BFR Redwood
    09 SR 5 H DD II
    09 25th Anni 5 HSS
    09 Reflex 5 Rosewood
    10 Reflex 5 Lamborghini orangeburst
    04 Bongo 5 HHp Sapphire
    06 Bongo 5 Hp Egyptian Smoke
    14 Bongo 5 HSp fl Cardinal red sparkle